Old 09-02-2006, 08:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim

Default patio lights and leds

I have a Malibu patio light set with a 121 watt transformer w/ timer. I
currently am using 8 4 watt bulbs and two 10 watt bulbs.

I would like to use led bulbs in place of these because of the cost savings.

Has anyone had experience using these? There is a company that carries them
but I have gotten two different answer from them on how to use them so I was
hoping someone had used them.

Thanks

Jim

Old 18-02-2006, 11:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Paul

To be honest this might be a waste of time. First the the cost savings of
the conversions to replace your current setup would run about $15
dollars. Now the transformer is still pulling 121 watts constant power.
You are not saving anything and the light output would be minimal at
best. Another option is go stright solar lights and add a longer lasting
batteries. I changed mine out and got an extra 1 1/2 hour out of
them...Paul

"Jim" wrote in
:

Old 20-02-2006, 03:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ken Weitzel

Paul wrote:
To be honest this might be a waste of time. First the the cost savings of
the conversions to replace your current setup would run about $15
dollars. Now the transformer is still pulling 121 watts constant power.
You are not saving anything and the light output would be minimal at
best. Another option is go stright solar lights and add a longer lasting
batteries. I changed mine out and got an extra 1 1/2 hour out of
them...Paul

Hi Paul...

As an old retired electrical guy I agree with you 100% that to
do a conversion would be an incredibly bad idea for several
reasons... the OP would be further ahead and safer simply
replacing the set with a LED one.

However, a gently correction, if I may? An electrical transformer
is one of the most efficient things on earth... power consumed
at the load is virtually all of the energy used, so there sure would
be savings

An example that you might consider is the doorbell transformer
in your basement, most likely mounted at the service entrance.
It's energized 24/7/365 (only the output is switched by the doorbell)
and consumes virtually no energy while idle.

Now while I'm here (the reason I joined the group), does anyone
know where (in Canada) I can get ahold of the soil testing kits
like we used to be able to? I'm thinking mostly of ph, but would
like one unlike Walmarts where they can be used multiple times...
add soil, a drop of liquid, and compare colours.

Thanks in advance, and take care.

Ken

Old 23-02-2006, 08:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Sammy

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Paul wrote:

[...]

Hi Ken,

Try LeeValley. You can check them out on
the internet at leevalley.ca.

Sammy
Old 25-02-2006, 12:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Paul

Ken, Thanks for the quick correction. You are correct that the load is
the one drawing the amps. Sorry about the mis-information...Paul

Sammy wrote in news:iFoLf.21165$%14.528944
@news20.bellglobal.com:

Old 25-02-2006, 04:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ken Weitzel

Sammy wrote:

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Paul wrote:

[...]

Hi Sammy...

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated.

What I found in the meantime was an electronic one, single AA
battery operated, that measures both ph and fertilizer level.

Ordered one, and should have it in plenty of time for Winnipeg
(Winterpeg) spring.

Going to try it out, compare it with one of the "one use" chemical
ones, and will be happy to let any of you know how it works out.

By the way, it's made by rapitest, and is distributed (on sale at
the moment for about 32 cdn) at treehelp.com

Disclaimer: I have nothing whatsoever to do with rapitest or treehelp,
other than being this once a customer)

Thanks again, and take care.

Ken

LEDs for Hydroponics LEDer United Kingdom 5 28-10-2005 08:52 AM
LEDs for Trees LEDer Bonsai 1 27-10-2005 08:43 PM
Lights On / Lights Off... is this OK? Bill Beam Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
Lights On / Lights Off... is this OK? Bill Beam Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 15-02-2003 01:54 PM