Old 31-03-2006, 01:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
ceed

Default Cutting height in hot climate.

Hi,

I am a bit confused regarding cutting height for my hot climate. I live in
South Central Texas (Austin) and have a “normal lawn”. It’s not carpet
grass, but just ...eh......grass! (Sorry for not knowing more).

I had my mower serviced and asked the guy at the mower place about this.
He told me to keep the mower on the highest setting since UV radiation
kills the grass roots in this climate during summer. I also asked a guy
who’s work is to maintain golf courses, and he told me to keep the mower
on the mid setting. I am using a Snapper mulching mower.

Could someone please enlighten me? I would also like to know if I should
keep the grass shorter in the winter?

Finally I wonder where/how you measure cutting height. Is it from the
bottom of the deck and down to the ground, from the blade and down, or?

--
//ceed
Old 31-03-2006, 05:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jonny

"ceed" wrote in message
newsp.s684myc2s07eue@debob...
[...]

??? Try newsgroup austin.gardening

I like 3-4 inches height. The purpose is to lessen moisture removal from
the heat for higher mower deck heights.

You most likely have St. Augustine. Else Bermuda (Sahara). If the latter
2" is okay.

If as hot as last year, sun will probably beat it down anyway. Luckily, we
had a good rain or two recently to kill that drought.
--
Jonny

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
cutting grass height billw Lawns 7 27-05-2005 06:07 PM
proper cutting height RB Lawns 10 12-05-2005 10:03 PM
Winter lawn cutting height? CathyLee Gardening 2 06-10-2003 06:02 PM