Old 03-04-2006, 02:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
mm

Default EMIL rule of spreading chemicals

My yard has gotten progessively worse, so I figured I would use
chemicals for a couple years, especially when they were marked down at
a garden shop going out of business.

Since I bought the stuff, and I will read more in the future, I've
read a lot here about how sprays are better than solid and how other
things are better yet. So I know for next time. But I own the pellet
stuff already. So if the answers could concentrate on MY current
problem, I'd appreciate it. To whit:

The bags are numbered 1,2,3,4 and somewhere someone said to use the
EMIL rule.

Easter
Memorial Day
Independance Day
Labor Day

for 1 to 4.

So today I'm looking at the first bag and it says it's against
crabgrass (and includes fertilizer) and it's for February to April and
before it is consitently in the 80's. So far so good, in Baltimore.

But I've noticed dandelions already budding and about to open in some
non-tended, except mowing, areas of the n'hood.

So I look and the second bag is against dandelions (and includes
fertilizer), but it says on the first bag, don't apply anything else
until 4 to 6 weeks from the first bag. By a month from now, the
dandelions will be all over the yard.

2) Should I do 1 tomorrow and do 2 in 4 weeks? Wont' that give me
lots and lots of dandelions. (for the first 10 years here, I ddn't
have any, but it's gotten pretty thick)

3) Can I put down half a portion of 1 and half a portion of 2? That
would make the amount of fertilizer no more than one portion.

4) Should I interchange 2 and 1? There is a lot of bad grass, and
stuff that isn't even grass at all (some sort of weed I guess) and I
won't get rid of it in one year, and it grows all year. So how about
if I tried to kill the crabgrass around May 2, and did the dandelions
now?

1) Should I have started with bag 1 a month ago? It was still cold.
Although the instructions don't say that is bad, it was a long time
before Easter a month ago.

Is there any truth to the EMIL rule? (Or was it the VEMI rule and I
forgot? V for Valentines.)

Thanks a lot.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

mm wrote:
[...]

You can put down your pre-emergent crabgrass control up until the forsythia
finishes blooming.

The broadleaf weeds need to be actively growing for your weed control to be
effective. Weed be gone liquid without fertilizer may be another option for
you soon.

--
30GB/month http://newsreader.com/

Pumpkin seeds RULE! dstvns Edible Gardening 11 12-11-2003 04:02 AM
Pumpkin seeds RULE! dstvns Gardening 19 11-11-2003 10:42 AM
Pumpkin seeds RULE! Roasted and salted. Long John Edible Gardening 0 07-11-2003 06:22 PM
Forest Service dismisses timber-sale challenges PRINCE OF WALES: Environmental groups' concerns rule Aozotorp alt.forestry 0 30-08-2003 02:42 PM
Rule of thumb for fish stocking explanation Sam Hopkins Ponds 15 16-06-2003 04:06 PM