Old 05-11-2003, 06:12 PM
dstvns

Default Pumpkin seeds RULE!

Hello,

I never tasted baked pumpkin seeds before last Sunday, and never knew
what I was missing!!! They're like massive sunflower seeds that don't
need to be shelled!! I salted them, put them single-layer on a
cookie sheet in the oven for 10 minutes at 325F and viola, instant
super-treat These pumpkins were the "Triple Treat" Burpee seed
variety.

However, a word of warning - they tend to pop like popcorn all over
the oven, so put a layer of aluminum foil over the top of the sheet to
keep them from spraying all over the oven

Dan

Old 05-11-2003, 09:42 PM
JNJ

I never tasted baked pumpkin seeds before last Sunday, and never knew
what I was missing!!! They're like massive sunflower seeds that don't
need to be shelled!! I salted them, put them single-layer on a
cookie sheet in the oven for 10 minutes at 325F and viola, instant
super-treat These pumpkins were the "Triple Treat" Burpee seed
variety.

Not us! We took the seeds and pulp of 5 pumpkins at my folks' place as well
as the seeds and pulp of our own 3, and spread them all over the far back of
our yard. Next year we should have quite the pumpkin patch back there. :P

James

Old 06-11-2003, 01:02 AM
SAS567

Not us! We took the seeds and pulp of 5 pumpkins at my folks' place as well
as the seeds and pulp of our own 3, and spread them all over the far back of
our yard. Next year we should have quite the pumpkin patch back there. :P

James

I did save some seeds from last year's,
"The Great Pumpkin." I planted them this spring and had the most beautiful
pumpkin vines I've ever had. However, although they had tons of blossoms, I
only got one pumpkin from 5 hills of beautiful vines. It never turned orange,
but became rotten first.
Good Luck to You!
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
Old 06-11-2003, 01:32 AM
JNJ

I did save some seeds from last year's,
"The Great Pumpkin." I planted them this spring and had the most

beautiful
pumpkin vines I've ever had. However, although they had tons of blossoms,

only got one pumpkin from 5 hills of beautiful vines. It never turned

orange,
but became rotten first.

Chuckle Well, we'll see what we get. Worst case scenario, I got a 6.0 HP
lawnmower that I can hike up pretty high and it will chop up just about
anything I plow it through. Besides -- it's all compost in the end.
Grin

James

Old 06-11-2003, 02:02 AM
David Auker

Did you grow them? Harvesting/opening the pumpkin to reveal the seeds
neatly waiting is a wonder (but somewhat time-consuming...I wonder what the
commercial process is like!?)
-David

"dstvns" wrote in message
: Hello,
:

Old 06-11-2003, 04:02 AM
B & J

"dstvns" wrote in message
Hello,

I never tasted baked pumpkin seeds before last Sunday, and never knew
what I was missing!!! They're like massive sunflower seeds that don't
need to be shelled!! I salted them, put them single-layer on a
cookie sheet in the oven for 10 minutes at 325F and viola, instant
super-treat These pumpkins were the "Triple Treat" Burpee seed
variety.

However, a word of warning - they tend to pop like popcorn all over
the oven, so put a layer of aluminum foil over the top of the sheet to
keep them from spraying all over the oven

Dan

If you have squash, the seeds from them taste every bit as good as those
from pumpkins. The variety of squash we grew this year were rather
tasteless, but the seeds were great!

John

Old 06-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Thalocean2

Hello,

I never tasted baked pumpkin seeds before last Sunday, and never knew
what I was missing!!! They're like massive sunflower seeds that don't
need to be shelled!! I salted them, put them single-layer on a
cookie sheet in the oven for 10 minutes at 325F and viola, instant
super-treat These pumpkins were the "Triple Treat" Burpee seed
variety.

However, a word of warning - they tend to pop like popcorn all over
the oven, so put a layer of aluminum foil over the top of the sheet to
keep them from spraying all over the oven

Dan

Try soy sauce, garlic salt and some black pepper next year. They are
addicting.

Laura B.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:12 AM
Pat Kiewicz

JNJ said:

Not us! We took the seeds and pulp of 5 pumpkins at my folks' place as well
as the seeds and pulp of our own 3, and spread them all over the far back of
our yard. Next year we should have quite the pumpkin patch back there. :P

You'll also have a lot of fat and sassy squirrels and birds. Pumpkin seeds
are a particular favorite. I've seen them eaten by crows, jays, and cardinals
as well as red and fox squirrels. And I don't doubt that they are gobbled up
by night-time critters as well.

Since pumpkins (with the aid of bees) are prodigious out-crossers, what grows
next year might look like pumpkins or like some weird squash.

It will be interesting...

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 06-11-2003, 06:42 PM
JNJ

You'll also have a lot of fat and sassy squirrels and birds. Pumpkin
seeds
are a particular favorite. I've seen them eaten by crows, jays, and

cardinals
as well as red and fox squirrels. And I don't doubt that they are gobbled

up
by night-time critters as well.

LOL -- I've no doubt you're right. We have a 15' x 15' feeder area for the
birds and such so they tend to forage there first and the squirrels have so
many walnuts to munch on that even THEIR appetites might be satisfied.
Grin I figure some of the seeds will likely survive though which is
cool -- if not, it's no biggie. We can always buy seeds for whatever we
actually PLAN to grow next year.

Since pumpkins (with the aid of bees) are prodigious out-crossers, what

grows
next year might look like pumpkins or like some weird squash.

It will be interesting...

This is true. I'll post back next year on just what comes up.

James

Old 06-11-2003, 09:12 PM
dstvns

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 12:47:24 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

As someone else has posted, many winter squash seeds may be treated
the same way.

That's nice to know...I just had spaghetti squash last night and kept
the seeds separate from the rest of the compost (I REALLY dont want
"mutants" growing in the garden next year they can be a pain).

Every year I grow spaghetti, butternut and acorn squash as well ase
pumpkin, so it's really nice to know the seeds won't go to waste,
either (and here I was throwing them out every year lol )

Dan

Old 06-11-2003, 09:12 PM
dstvns

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:43:28 -0800, "David Auker"
wrote:

Did you grow them? Harvesting/opening the pumpkin to reveal the seeds
neatly waiting is a wonder (but somewhat time-consuming...I wonder what the
commercial process is like!?)

I would guess they shred the entire squash plant, and the seeds float
to the top of a vat of water. That's how I separated the seeds from
my pumpkin....put them in a bowl of water and nearly all the seeds
floated.

It seems to be an extremely easy process to mass produce...simply dump
in a large vat of water and skim the seeds off. Maybe one day we'll
see salted pumpkin seeds on the store shelves

Dan