Old 15-04-2006, 03:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Hilltop Cycle ATV

Default Dang Thistles !

The thistles are starting for the year , what are you guys using to kill
thistles but NOT the grass ?
Thanks,
Raz

BTW Would also like to know thee to purchase the product and how to apply
it.

Old 15-04-2006, 10:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

" Hilltop Cycle ATV" wrote in message
The thistles are starting for the year , what are you guys using to kill
thistles but NOT the grass ?
Thanks,
Raz

BTW Would also like to know thee to purchase the product and how to apply
it.

what type of thistles and where are they?

I am assuming in a garden.

If they are stand alone, like a nodder thistle, then a small amount of
roundup painted on the thistle with a paint brush will kill them. If small
enough, not surrounded by other plants and they have not gone to seed douse
them with hot water. Alternately dig them out by hand.

Some thistles have a very extensive root network and pop up in several
places. Roundup knocks those back pretty well (although it may not kill them
off totally).

rob

Old 16-04-2006, 02:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

" Hilltop Cycle ATV" wrote in message
The thistles are starting for the year , what are you guys using to kill
thistles but NOT the grass ?
Thanks,
Raz

BTW Would also like to know thee to purchase the product and how to apply
it.

My garden was over-run with thistle for a few years - Round-up didn't appear
to kill it the first time - it kept reappearing - but after 2 years it is
gone completely.

Old 16-04-2006, 03:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Hilltop Cycle ATV

"George.com" wrote in message

[...]

Rob,
It is not in my garden but my lawn . I live in rural Iowa and the live next
to a pasture . Well, the deadbeat renter that rents the land next to us, did
not spray for thistles last year .
I am not on speaking terms with him but if he doesn't spray his soon, the
ASCS office will get a call from me.

Raz

Old 16-04-2006, 09:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"George.com" wrote in message

[...]

by hand with the aid of a knife if you can get them early enough, root
around in the soil and pull the entire thistle out, or if big or in clumps
roundup (I use it neat for some tough plants or watered down for others)
applied with a small paint brush to the leaves. If an extensive rooting
thistle you will be round uping for a long time but will knock it back
significantly. Provided it is possible my preference would be by hand.

rob

Thistles Johannes United Kingdom 8 27-08-2006 11:02 PM
Thistles korrina osbourn United Kingdom 5 28-04-2005 07:56 PM
Globe thistles none United Kingdom 1 17-01-2005 06:33 PM
Wanted to see tads turn to toads, dang it! jammer Ponds 9 15-06-2003 12:32 AM
Oh dang, they sent the wrong filter Bob H Ponds 2 03-04-2003 03:56 AM