Old 02-08-2006, 02:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default PICS of the Problem

Peter Pan said:

So what do I need to put on it to stop it from taking over the rest of my
yard?

It's an annual. It will die when it gets cool. You could go to the trouble
of treating it, which will take a couple weeks. Then you'll have this nice,
yellow/brown crap all over your yard for a few weeks until it would have
died anyway.

Next spring, put down a good pre-emergent for it.

--
Eggs

-Half the people you know are below average.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Peter Pan wrote:

So what do I need to put on it to stop it from taking over the rest of my
yard?

how much physical labor are you willing to
apply in order to have a nice green lawn?

the reason I ask is because there are several
approaches to control and eradication.

eradicate
verb transitive
1: to pull up by the roots

if you end up making the choice to use a selective herbicide
at this stage of the growth shown in your pictures, you'll end
up with one ugly lawn. the treated crabgrass will first go yellow
and then go brown. then, after the crabgrass is dead you'll have
a bare spot for awhile since most selective herbicides used on
fescue retard the growth and spreading of the fescue.

if you work your fingers under the crabgrass you'll find several
runners all going back to the same root source. after several
mowings of crabgrass the runners will put down roots of their own.
if the runners have not put down roots pulling the source root is
not all that difficult. takes some time. wet the ground and it
will be somewhat easier.

if all the above seems to be the incorrect choice for you. do an
over seeding with fescue seed in the early fall when you notice the
HOT weather crabgrass beginning to go DORMANT. pamper your new seed
with some starter fertilizer and adequate water. in the very next
spring before your air temps get high enough to bring the crabgrass
out of it's DORMANCY, as well as sprout all the seeds it made and
dropped into your lawn, apply a good quality at the correct quantity
of a pre-emergent designated for crabgrass.

good lawn care is always filled with choices.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I agree that at least some of it looks like crabgrass, though I'm not
sure it's all crabgrass. There may be some other weed type grass there
as well. Af riend of mine has a rough blade type grass growing here in
NJ that goes from brown to green this time of year. And whatever it
is, it's not crabgrass.

I agree with Jim, if you kill it now, it will look bad for a few weeks
as the crabgrass dies. The optimum time to kill any crabgrass that
escaped pre-emergent treatment was a few weeks ago, when the plants
were still small and easier to kill.

On the other hand, leaving it there, it will continue to grow, still
look pretty bad and choke out desirable grass until first frost. So,
it's a mixed bag as to what to do.

Acclaim is effective and what I use, but at this point you will need 2
treatments to kill it. Also, don't apply any herbicide when it 85+ out
or the grass is stressed from lack of water.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Peter Pan wrote:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...9/HPIM1012.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...9/HPIM1011.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...9/HPIM1010.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...9/HPIM1009.jpg

I agree with others, re crabgrass, with maybe some other coarse fescues.
I wish my crabgrass/fescue/clover/weed lawn looked as nice and green as
yours. If I were to kill the crabgrass & clover now, what little green I
have would be gone.

David in MD
Old 02-08-2006, 09:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Pre-emergent neeeds to be applied before there are any plants, in the
spring.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:27 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Crabgrass,Crabgrass, Crabgrass and Crabgrass. Keep it cut to keep it
from seeding. Old man winter will kill the plants you see. Since you
have a good crop of it, there more than likely are plenty of
ungerminated seeds that will haunt you in the next early summer. Apply
a pre-emergence herbicide of your choice to keep them from
germinating. Always areate in the fall because the seed that you
expose will die because of cold weather. If you areate in the spring,
you will have a bumper crop of crabgrass. Hope this heps!
STOVEBOLT

Old 18-08-2006, 07:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Problem with my Lawn

If you are overseeding this may be a quick germinating seed that they mix
with bluegrass seeds. It doesn't look like crabgrass to me. Crabgrass will
grow from a central point much like a dandelion. There is really no need to
overseed unless you have bare areas.
"Peter Pan" wrote in message
I seed my yard twice a year as I'm suppose to, I also water and fertilize
as directed. Lately I'm noticing the grass blades in some areas are no
longer the nice tall thin blades, but more to the short fat blades. I'm
concerned because A: it doesn't look nice and B: I'm hoping its not some
sort of weed growing. Can anyone offer me some advise?