Old 01-09-2006, 09:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Why some wildflowers prohibited in certain states?

In looking through some seed catalogs, I was surprised to learn that certain
flower seeds are forbidden in certain states. I failed to write down
details (I am looking for the website again), but some common wildflower
such as Black-eyed Susans cannot be shipped to certain states because they
are outlawed. This seems very weird to me !!

This is not a troll, I am serious, and curious to boot.

Thanks !!

--James--

Old 02-09-2006, 01:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

In article , James
wrote:

In looking through some seed catalogs, I was surprised to learn that certain
flower seeds are forbidden in certain states. I failed to write down
details (I am looking for the website again), but some common wildflower
such as Black-eyed Susans cannot be shipped to certain states because they
are outlawed. This seems very weird to me !!

This is not a troll, I am serious, and curious to boot.

Probably because that state has classified them as a noxious weed.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , James
wrote:

In looking through some seed catalogs, I was surprised to learn that certain
flower seeds are forbidden in certain states. I failed to write down
details (I am looking for the website again), but some common wildflower
such as Black-eyed Susans cannot be shipped to certain states because they
are outlawed. This seems very weird to me !!

This is not a troll, I am serious, and curious to boot.

Probably because that state has classified them as a noxious weed.

Yes. MA and NH have decided that 11 common plants are invasive and
cannot be sold after this year. You can find more info on
http://www.paulparent.com
Old 02-09-2006, 03:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 16:38:42 -0400, "James"
wrote:

In looking through some seed catalogs, I was surprised to learn that certain
flower seeds are forbidden in certain states. I failed to write down
details (I am looking for the website again), but some common wildflower
such as Black-eyed Susans cannot be shipped to certain states because they
are outlawed. This seems very weird to me !!

This is not a troll, I am serious, and curious to boot.

Thanks !!

--James--

Black-eyed Susans should be outlawed. They advicate domestic
violence! Isn't it the offical flower of Nascar fans!

Ok, just kidding, don't flame me.

I was told some plant laws are 'old', my local codes have 'preferred'
tree list for planting on sides of roads, that is over a century old,
and the trees are both ugly and not 'natural' to the area. So you
might have some old rules on the books, based on what was thought to
encourage desireable plants, and discourage agressive plants.

But then.... just guessing from our local 'rules'.

later,

tom