Old 04-09-2006, 03:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default torpedo grass weed

anyone know how to get rid of this?

I've got torpedo grass in the island garden.

I thought about covering the island up with old newspapers & plastic
mulch. but then I read that TG just goes through it.

http://experts.about.com/q/Lawns-725/Torpedo-grass.htm

it mentions using sugar or baking soda as an organic remedy.

kind of an odd way to do this.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Dilbert Firestorm said:

anyone know how to get rid of this?

I've got torpedo grass in the island garden.

I thought about covering the island up with old newspapers & plastic
mulch. but then I read that TG just goes through it.

http://experts.about.com/q/Lawns-725/Torpedo-grass.htm

it mentions using sugar or baking soda as an organic remedy.

kind of an odd way to do this.

Sugar will feed microbes that help keep the soil healthy, nothing more. The
theory is; weeds don't like "healthy" soils, and thrive in poor ones. So,
if you keep the soil in good shape, you won't have the weed. True, to some
extent, but sugar's a rather expensive treatment, for the results you're
likely to get.

Panicum repens is sensitive to both glyphosate and imazapyr. Both are
broad-spectrum herbicides, and will most likely kill any herbaceous growth
they touch. If the P. repens is in an area with plants you'd like to keep,
you'd best stick with pulling by hand. If you don't mind starting that bed
over, then several treatments of the above chemicals (according to strength
recommendations on packaging) should do the trick.

HTH
--
Eggs

Do vegetarians eat animal crackers?
Old 04-09-2006, 05:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I said:

sugar's a rather expensive treatment, for the results you're
likely to get.

Not to mention, you'll probably attract more ants (and other sugar-loving
insects), than "feed" microbes.

--
Eggs

A: Top-posters.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in newsgroups?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Dilbert Firestorm said:

[...]

are you familiar with fulisade herbicide brand? will that do?

btw, do you know if putting plastic sheet & mulch on top of the soil
will keep out TG?

Old 05-09-2006, 10:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Dilbert Firestorm said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Dilbert Firestorm said:

[...]

Yes.

will that do?

I told you the two that I'm sure will kill it. Fusilade II *may* do the
trick, but as it's more of a selective herbicide, the chances are less. A
controlled burn will also eliminate the weed.

btw, do you know if putting plastic sheet & mulch on top of the soil
will keep out TG?

Probably, but it's not a species I have to deal with here, so I really
can't say. If you've got the room where it's growing to lay down plastic,
then why don't you have room to spray the area with a broad-spectrum
herbicide?

--
Eggs

-Buy one for the price of two and get the second one free!