Old 10-09-2006, 05:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Rust on new lawn?

Just had part of the lawn replanted because of a new road going in.
They used Kentucky Bluegrass. It was coming in really good, even in
the hot July-Aug weather. I made the mistake of mowing it when it was
tall and wet. Now it's very orange and after walking through it, my
shoes look like they were eating doritos.

I fertilized yesterday. I don't know if that's good to do or not at
this point. What else can I do? -thanx.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

69strat said:

Just had part of the lawn replanted because of a new road going in.
They used Kentucky Bluegrass. It was coming in really good, even in
the hot July-Aug weather. I made the mistake of mowing it when it was
tall and wet. Now it's very orange and after walking through it, my
shoes look like they were eating doritos.

I fertilized yesterday. I don't know if that's good to do or not at
this point. What else can I do?

Just maintain proper lawn care.

When they paved my street, the reseeded area came up alright at first
and then went to rust. They had 'restored' the area with what looked
like scrapings from the old road with a dusting of topsoil. I gave it a
couple of extra light applications of fertilizer and a top-dressing of
compost and it turned out OK.

This was in the Sept. 8 Landscape Alert newsletter from the MSU extension
service:

Rusty sneakers
One of the dangers of autumn is turning those new, white school sneakers
to orange after walking through the lawn. After what was a sporadically
sultry summer, the cool temperatures in autumn often result in rust
showing up on lawns. Rust is very diverse; there is stem rust, crown rust,
leaf rust and stripe rust. Don’t worry about what rust might be
contaminating your lawn, as a general rule in almost all cases rust is
considered a cosmetic turfgrass disease that although it may discolor the
turf, it will not result in wide-spread death of the turfgrass. If you find
yourself inundated with a bad case of rust, make sure to keep up on your
mowing, and if you haven’t applied any fertilizer in a while, consider a
fertilizer application to stimulate turf growth, which will help diminish the
impact of the rust.
http://www.ipm.msu.edu/cat06land/l09-08-06.htm#8

--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 11-09-2006, 04:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
69strat said:

[...]

THANX! Glad to hear it's mostly a cosmetic thing.