Old 08-10-2006, 01:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Tractor battery light on - what to do?

Hi folks,
John Deere GT262 Garden tractor, maybe 10 years old. I jump started my
neighbor's tractor (positive to positive, neg to neg) and it went fine. Now
my battery light is on when it is running, and otherwise seems to run fine
(lights work, PTO engages, runs normally). What might have happened? What
should I do? What other information would you like to have to help here?
Thanks for the help,
Tomes - moderately handy but no expert on this

Old 08-10-2006, 03:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Tomes wrote:

Hi folks,
John Deere GT262 Garden tractor, maybe 10 years old. I jump started my
neighbor's tractor (positive to positive, neg to neg) and it went fine. Now
my battery light is on when it is running, and otherwise seems to run fine
(lights work, PTO engages, runs normally). What might have happened? What
should I do? What other information would you like to have to help here?
Thanks for the help,
Tomes - moderately handy but no expert on this

when you gave the jump was your engine running? were both
engines running for any length of time with the jumper cables
connected? just a few seconds with both engines running while
connected by jumper cables is enough to get the voltage regulator.
usually no good deed goes unpunished, so it's the one giving the
jump who gets zapped.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jim Ledford" wrote in message
Tomes wrote:

[...]

Hi Jim,
Yep, my engine was running and I disconnected pretty much right away when
his started. Could have been a few seconds maybe. Is there a way to
diagnose this? Is this an easy fix?
Tomes

Old 16-10-2006, 02:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

ink.net...
Tomes wrote:

[...]

Folks,
Just wanted to close the loop a bit with my issue.

I ended up just disconnecting the battery, cleaning up the connections
(which were very shiny but I sanded them anyways), also cleaning up the
connection of the ground at the motor bottom, and trying it again. After
this last week or so of using it, it shone the light only once the second
time I ran it and has not shone the light since. I have used it maybe 7-5
times, for a couple hours or only some minutes each time.

So I don't know what I really 'did'. The connections looked OK, but were
cleaned up - maybe that was it, but it all was brought on by that jump
start, hmmm. Perhaps I 'reset' something by disconnecting? What do we
think about this at this point? I consider the problem solved (the Tomes
way of fixing things - take it apart and put it back together again and the
problem goes away - works for me a lot grin) as the light is off all the
time now. I just have little idea what went on and am still fishing for
understanding, thanks.
Tomes