Old 05-04-2007, 08:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rb rb is offline

Default leave as mulcher?

Since I've got a bunch of leaves to deal with several times per year, is
there any reason not to just set my tractor mower up as a mulcher, and leave
it that way both for leaves and mowing?

Old 05-04-2007, 09:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

"rb" wrote in message
. ..
Since I've got a bunch of leaves to deal with several times per year, is
there any reason not to just set my tractor mower up as a mulcher, and leave
it that way both for leaves and mowing?

That's exactly the best way. I run as a mulcher all year round, cuts up the
leaves after a few mowings and provides mulch for the tree. Kinda like
Mother nature does it without the mower.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rb rb is offline

Does it do a good job mowing grass when setup as a mulcher?

Old 07-04-2007, 03:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 5, 4:14 pm, "rb" wrote:
Does it do a good job mowing grass when setup as a mulcher?

I think the answer is, it depends. If the mower is specifically
designed to be used as a mulcher, then in my experience, it will
likely do a pretty good to very good job of cutting. If you're
talking about just putting a mulching blade on a mower that wasn't
designed to be a mulcher, then my experience has been that it does a
poor job of giving a good cut. Worst performance is in thin/sparse
grass, where it can tend to whack the grass over, instead of cleanly
cutting it.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 7, 7:21 am, wrote:
On Apr 5, 4:14 pm, "rb" wrote:

Does it do a good job mowing grass when setup as a mulcher?

I think the answer is, it depends. If the mower is specifically
designed to be used as a mulcher, then in my experience, it will
likely do a pretty good to very good job of cutting. If you're
talking about just putting a mulching blade on a mower that wasn't
designed to be a mulcher, then my experience has been that it does a
poor job of giving a good cut. Worst performance is in thin/sparse
grass, where it can tend to whack the grass over, instead of cleanly
cutting it.

I originally had concerns about mulch acting like thatch buildup, but
so far the mulch seems to break down into compost whereas thatch just
lays there. Guess it has to do with the size of the cut pieces.