Old 08-04-2007, 07:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
MJF MJF is offline

Default Problem with Sears and lawn tractor

In early 2005 I purchased a lawn tractor from a Sears store in Calgary
for about $4000.00. At the time was disappointed by the lack of sales
expertise displayed by the sales staff and the availability of add-on
parts (IE snow blade, tool box, and trailer) advertised for this
tractor.

Over the next 12 months I have had some minor mechanical problems with
the tractor but had an increasingly difficult time getting service and
parts for the machine.

In June 2006 I wanted to buy replacement mover blades for the tractor
and telephoned the toll free parts and service number from my owner's
manual only to be told that the computer system for ordering parts was
"down" for 12 hours. I asked for the telephone number for the Calgary
parts outlet so I could call them directly with the part number to see
if the item was in stock, but I was told, they did not have a
telephone number to that location.

The next day I drove to the Calgary parts outlet where I have
purchased the same items in the past and they did not have them in
stock, I was surprised to find a very common part required by many
people for spring yard work would be hard to come by. At any rate I
returned home and called the toll free number again and this time was
told that I could place and order for the blades I require and did so,
at that time I was told that they did have the parts in stock at the
same depot I had visited earlier that day and that two blades were
being held there in my name. I returned to the same depot and
purchased the blades, but no one could explain this convoluted and
erroneous process to me.

The following week I decided to have the annual tractor tune up
performed by Sears service technicians at my home. I once again called
the toll free service number and booked the service appointment for
Thursday June 8 2006. I asked that the technician bring additional
parts for the tractor that I wanted to purchase but the telephone
staff said they could not place such an order. The staff also were
unable to tell me the cost of the annual service or what items were
covered in the annual tune-up. They did agree to have the technician
call me before his appointment and I could ask him to bring the parts
out at that time. I received no call from the technician in the
intervening days.

On June 7 I received a call from Sears Canada service centre saying
that they would not be honoring the commitment for service at my home
the next day as they had overbooked appointments due to a computer
booking error. I accepted this inconvenience and re-scheduled the
service appointment for June 22 2006, and asked that they have a
technician call me anyway so that I could make sure he could bring the
new parts for the re-scheduled visit. The staff assured me the
technician would call me that day about this request but I received no
such call.

On June 8 2006 I called the toll free number again to make a complaint
about the problems with the completion of my requests. At that time I
was referred to another number where I spoke to staff that listened
patiently to my complaint and conducted a search of the parts I wanted
to order and determined that they were not in stock and would not be
available until after the scheduled appointment on June 22 2006. As a
result I cancelled the scheduled appointment because I seem to be the
only person in this entire process who thinks that it is pointless to
have a technician come to my home for service without the parts
required to accomplish the task..

AT 0808 hours June 22, I received a call / message on my answering
machine from a Sears tractor technician saying he was trying to keep
the service appointment, which I hade cancelled 14 days previously,
but he did not have directions to my home. It is just as well that I
did not speak to him because I might have been a bit harsh on him when
he was not able to answer my questions about why he was coming to my
home and I am certain he would not have the parts I wanted. Moreover,
the tractor was delivered to my home by Sears and technicians have
visited at least twice for servicing, why would there not be clear
directions to my home in their files?
This entire process makes me very frustrated and unhappy. I plan to
buy a new tractor Next year but it will not be from Sears. Further, in
2004 I spent more than $20,000.00 on furniture and home furnishings at
Sears for my new home but I will not do so again as I think this
experience speaks poorly of this company's desire for my business.

I am fed up with the complete inability of Sears Canada to stock
parts, keep appointments of even return simple phone calls. I am
saddened to find that this once indispensable department store has
fallen to such low levels of service. If they go out of business soon,
I will not miss them.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"MJF" wrote in message
oups.com...
In early 2005 I purchased a lawn tractor from a Sears store in Calgary
for about $4000.00. At the time was disappointed by the lack of sales
expertise displayed by the sales staff and the availability of add-on
parts (IE snow blade, tool box, and trailer) advertised for this
tractor.

Over the next 12 months I have had some minor mechanical problems with
the tractor but had an increasingly difficult time getting service and
parts for the machine.

Join the club. I gave up on Sears for similar reasons a few years ago.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Why don't you send a letter to the CEO of Sears/K-Mart stating all of the
difficulties you have had?

We had a similar run of awful service with a washing machine, dropped a
letter in the mail, and Sears eventually came through, fixed the problems,
and gave us a gift card of significant value to compensate for our
difficulties.

oups.com...

Sears ST/16 Garden Tractor Joe Lawns 3 18-01-2006 10:28 PM
Sears Lawn Tractor: Kohler Engine: Runs then quits..... Fred Lawns 10 05-11-2005 07:13 AM
Sears ST/16 Garden Tractor Joe Lawns 3 04-03-2005 12:34 AM
Help - Need junk Sears lawn tractor Chuck Jurgens Lawns 8 23-05-2003 02:08 AM
Advice on Sears lawn tractor Mike Gardening 24 23-04-2003 09:32 PM