Old 16-05-2003, 05:08 AM
Chuck Jurgens

Default Help - Need junk Sears lawn tractor

I have a Sears YTV-16 lawn tractor with a broken transaxle (4 gears
are stripped). I am looking for a used transaxle assembly. The part
number is 917.101901X.

Sears Parts Dept. says that is it "unavailable". Does anyone know
what company made the transaxle for Sears?

Please email me.

TIA

Chuck
Old 16-05-2003, 06:32 AM
jim

Chuck Jurgens wrote:

I have a Sears YTV-16 lawn tractor with a broken transaxle (4 gears
are stripped). I am looking for a used transaxle assembly. The part
number is 917.101901X.

Sears Parts Dept. says that is it "unavailable". Does anyone know
what company made the transaxle for Sears?

Please email me.

TIA

Chuck

you can probably get the parts at any good sized lawnmower repair shop,
they dont thrown nothing away... the one i go to must have about 200 old
lawmowers stacked up on each other and they use them for parts when
needed.. i guess they do the same with tractor parts also.... or they
can probably get the part for you....
Old 16-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Greg O

"Chuck Jurgens" wrote in message
om...
I have a Sears YTV-16 lawn tractor with a broken transaxle (4 gears
are stripped). I am looking for a used transaxle assembly. The part
number is 917.101901X.

Sears Parts Dept. says that is it "unavailable". Does anyone know
what company made the transaxle for Sears?

Please email me.

TIA

Chuck

Probably made by Peerless, a division of Tecumseh. Find a good small engine
shop in your area, they will be able to cross reference the Sears model
number to Peerless. Once you get the Peerless number it is just a matter of
ordered the parts to repair it. I have rebuilt a few of these transmissions
over the years, with the factory manual, it is not very hard to do. Lots of
small pieces to keep track of!!
Greg

Old 16-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Play4aBuck

" Help - Need junk Sears lawn tractor"

Looks like you already have one!!

LOL, Sorry!! My apologies.

I must say I stopped buying any products from Sears that had a motor many
years ago. They don't stock/supply parts for very long. They want you to
buy a new one I guess. I've had to toss jig saws, and fit older drills with
new drill triggers (with custom jumpers). Sears was once an American Icon,
now well....much less.

MTD is a very large maker of many machines, Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Yard-Man,
Ryobi, Yard Machines and White Outdoor. I would not be surprised if make
the Sear brand or perhaps they could tell you who makes that tranny.

http://www.mtdproducts.com/company/index.jsp

Best of luck,
Jim

Old 16-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Dr. Doctor

look on the transaxal itself there should be a mod# stamped on it . if it
says foot (might be foote) they are gonzo and look around at local shops. if
it says perrless parts should still be around.

Old 17-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Chip Stein

"Dr. Doctor" wrote in message . ..
look on the transaxal itself there should be a mod# stamped on it . if it
says foot (might be foote) they are gonzo and look around at local shops. if
it says perrless parts should still be around.

that tractor was made by roper. believe it or not they actually made
their own transaxles for a while.
go to www.oscar-wilson.com they are the largest supplier i
know of sears parts. located in o'fallon missouri.
Chip

foote was bought by dana and a lot of parts are still available.
Old 17-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Dr. Doctor

to chip
I heard the when Dana bought foote the tooling / molds were lost/destroyed
and that is the reason why parts for foote are hard to find.. I always
wondered if I was told a line so that person could pass on doing their
job.... did you hear anything like that???

Old 22-05-2003, 01:32 AM
TIA

"Dr. Doctor" wrote in
:

to chip
I heard the when Dana bought foote the tooling / molds were
lost/destroyed and that is the reason why parts for foote are hard to
find.. I always wondered if I was told a line so that person could
pass on doing their job.... did you hear anything like that???

Actually, the reason Foote trannies were so hard to find for a while is
that there was a major fire in their manufacturing plant. Although they
always had parts available, their production lines were down for about a
year. But he may not have a Foote. He specifically stated he had a YTV-16.
This is a VARIDRIVE tractor, and most of them had two forward / one reverse
gear transaxles that were actually made by Roper, who was made most of
Sears tractors (and the descendent company still does).

Roper Corp. was bought in 1988 by General Electric in a bidding war with
Whirlpool. (Ironic, since Whirlpool was once RCA-Whirlpool, and RCA was
once and is again GE.) After the dust settled, they sold the lawn and
garden equipment business to A.B. Electrolux of Sweden, makers of White-
Westinghouse, Frigidaire, Husqvarna, Poulan, Weed Eater and many other
brands. G.E. sold the Roper name rights to Whirlpool. They basically kept
the gas kitchen ranges and range patents, maybe the industrial pumps, and
looted the rest to pay the bill from the bidding war. (They paid over twice
the per share value at the start.)

The lawn and garden division became American Yard Products, then Frigidaire
Home Products, and now Electrolux Home Products, all just new names from
Sweden for the same old dog. Any dealer handling mower repairs for mass
merchant machines should be able to order parts to repair this tranny. But
a complete unit is probably not going to be found. Those Roper vari-drives
were built well before the A.B.Electrolux take over, and are well beyond
the average 10 year life span of mass merchandiser power equipment.

Matt
Old 23-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Chip Stein

Roper Corp. was bought in 1988 by General Electric in a bidding war with
Whirlpool. (Ironic, since Whirlpool was once RCA-Whirlpool, and RCA was
once and is again GE.) After the dust settled, they sold the lawn and
garden equipment business to A.B. Electrolux of Sweden, makers of White-
Westinghouse, Frigidaire, Husqvarna, Poulan, Weed Eater and many other
brands. G.E. sold the Roper name rights to Whirlpool. They basically kept
the gas kitchen ranges and range patents, maybe the industrial pumps, and
looted the rest to pay the bill from the bidding war. (They paid over twice
the per share value at the start.)

exactly. i just didn't feel like relaying the entire story of what
we called rainbow manufacturing. because they came in so many colors
over the years. the story and product line actually go deeper than
that though.
i never had a problem getting foote parts. we had a great
distributer though. they had an enormous parts stock, and i was the
only one for about 30-40 miles that would work on them.
Chip

Problem with Sears and lawn tractor MJF Lawns 2 08-04-2007 02:25 PM
Sears ST/16 Garden Tractor Joe Lawns 3 18-01-2006 10:28 PM
Sears Lawn Tractor: Kohler Engine: Runs then quits..... Fred Lawns 10 05-11-2005 07:13 AM
Sears ST/16 Garden Tractor Joe Lawns 3 04-03-2005 12:34 AM
Advice on Sears lawn tractor Mike Gardening 24 23-04-2003 09:32 PM