Old 22-04-2007, 06:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default MSMA Application

Hi,

I have a problem with crabgrass in my lawn (Bermuda grass) and I'm planning
to use MSMA, specifically Green Light MSMA Crabgrass Killer. The
instructions for it say, "Do not apply with hose-end applicators" but I'm
not sure I know what a "hose-end applicator" is. Is that one of those garden
hose sprayer attachments with a bottle that mixes a liquid (like MSMA) with
the water coming out of the hose in some ratio? If so, why would the MSMA
directions say not to use one and what are the alternatives (it doesn't
suggest any -- it just says not to use "hose-end applicators")?

Thanks in advance,

Walter

Old 22-04-2007, 08:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Walter King" wrote in
newsxMWh.1130$1M1.1129@trnddc01:

Hi,

I have a problem with crabgrass in my lawn (Bermuda grass) and I'm
planning to use MSMA, specifically Green Light MSMA Crabgrass Killer.
The instructions for it say, "Do not apply with hose-end applicators"
but I'm not sure I know what a "hose-end applicator" is. Is that one
of those garden hose sprayer attachments with a bottle that mixes a
liquid (like MSMA) with the water coming out of the hose in some
ratio? If so, why would the MSMA directions say not to use one and
what are the alternatives (it doesn't suggest any -- it just says not
to use "hose-end applicators")?

Thanks in advance,

Walter

Some reasons come to mind:

* There's no guarantee the hose-end sprayer (HES) really mixes in the
proportion it claims. MSMA is strong stuff. Too much will kill the
bermuda. A pump-up sprayer gives you exact mixtures.

* You don't get good control because the spray is too broad. It's good
to put a little more product right on the crabgrass, with very little
where you have nice, clean bermuda. You can't do that with an HES.

* When the product level gets low in the HES, it's very sensitive to the
position in which you hold it. If you tilt it the wrong way, you're only
putting out water.

Save the HES for applying stuff like fertiziler and insecticide.