Old 24-04-2007, 05:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default 13.5 Hp Briggs and Stratton

I just bought a Craftsman riding lawn mower and had a broken
connection rod. I replaced the rod and the gaskets. The problem I'm
having now is the engine wont start at all. I see fuel blowing out of
the carb. I lined up 2 dot of the cam and crank. check the valves
clearance and reading .005 on exhaust and .007 on intake. cleaned
around the valves so they will seat better. nothing.

Does anyone know the compression ratio?

or how about this, does anyone know what else to check?

I need help PLEASE!!!!!

Old 26-04-2007, 02:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

First off did you check the book on those timing marks ? Marks vary
from engine to engine make and only the book can tell you if you have
it right and from the sound of it I think you maybe off.

Did you check the book on the timing mark settings ? They do chenge
from engine to engine make to make and did you check valve operation
to see if they move freely and here is another goodie did you check to
see if the seating of the valve is tight andn no leaks ? The seating
may not be tight and the valves maybe leaking down andn are you sure
the valves were not bent in the slightest ? From your description
sounds to me like one of the above is out of spec