Old 24-04-2007, 05:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default 13.5 Hp Briggs and Stratton won't start

I just bought a Craftsman riding lawn mower and had a broken
connection rod. I replaced the rod and the gaskets. The problem I'm
having now is the engine wont start at all. I see fuel blowing out of
the carb. I lined up 2 dot of the cam and crank. check the valves
clearance and reading .005 on exhaust and .007 on intake. cleaned
around the valves so they will seat better. nothing.

Does anyone know the compression ratio?

or how about this, does anyone know what else to check?

I need help PLEASE!!!!!

Old 24-04-2007, 10:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just bought a Craftsman riding lawn mower and had a broken
connection rod. I replaced the rod and the gaskets. The problem I'm
having now is the engine wont start at all. I see fuel blowing out of
the carb. I lined up 2 dot of the cam and crank. check the valves
clearance and reading .005 on exhaust and .007 on intake. cleaned
around the valves so they will seat better. nothing.

Does anyone know the compression ratio?

or how about this, does anyone know what else to check?

I need help PLEASE!!!!!

Did you check the resistance on the coil, are you getting spark?
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/dis...sp?DocID=67479

Check the impedance (resistance) of the secondary circuit at room
temperature. Hook an ohmmeter test lead to the spark plug terminal of the
high-tension lead and another to the lamination stack (ground). Your
resistance reading should range between 2,500 and 5,000 ohms. If infinite
(no continuity), an internal open circuit exists. Replace the coil. If
infinite and the engine runs, your problem is an internal break of the high
tension lead, a poor attachment of the spark plug terminal or improper
mating of the high tension lead to the coil. A pin within the coil body
skewers the lead. If the pin does not contact the wire core, there will be
no continuity. The coil will often have enough available voltage to jump
the gap, so you see spark. The internal arcing that occurs within the
high-tension lead will eventually create enough resistance that ignition
system performance will suffer. If your resistance reading is much lower
than 2,500 ohms, an internal short exists. Replace the coil.

Mich...

Old 26-04-2007, 12:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Mich... wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If it ran long enough to throw a rod the coil is fine. I suspect a
reassembly problem but diagnosing through a newsgroup is damn near
impossible.
Also it's far a easier and more reliable test to just lay the plug
against the cylinder head while attempting to start. If you see a spark
then the coil is good.

--
Art