Old 17-08-2007, 03:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Renting an excavator

Anybody had any experience renting a mini or compact excavator ? What to
look out for contract wise ? Thinking about renting for a week.

Old 18-08-2007, 01:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Pat Pat is offline

You give them some money and take it home. You have to agree to their terms
or you don't get the machine. If something happens you will probably have
to pay for the damage. The last time they offered damage waiver insurance
for $50 or so a day. I paid it. Didn't cover some of the really stupid
things an operator can do to damage the machine like trying to dig thru the
tracks. I hauled mine which probably increases the ways it can be damaged.

Old 18-08-2007, 02:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Pat" wrote in message
You give them some money and take it home. You have to agree to their
terms or you don't get the machine. If something happens you will
probably have to pay for the damage. The last time they offered damage
waiver insurance for $50 or so a day. I paid it. Didn't cover some of
the really stupid things an operator can do to damage the machine like
trying to dig thru the tracks. I hauled mine which probably increases the
ways it can be damaged.

Thanks. I had a guy bring one in 2 years ago for a couple days and I got to
play with it for an hour or so. He had it for another job he was doing so I
didn't get involved in the renting part. My son has a 5,000 # trailer but he
is a half hour away and busy so I might just pay the rental place to move
it. I don't plan to do anything exotic (no deep holes) just level off a
spot, fill a ditch, pull out a couple small stumps, widen a drainage ditch,
and modify an old existing foundation.

Old 19-08-2007, 03:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Anybody had any experience renting a mini or compact excavator ? What to
look out for contract wise ? Thinking about renting for a week.

In my case, they give it to you fueled. Have to give it back that way, or
they charge for refueling. It was delivered by the rental facility by
trailer, and picked up. They called it a "Bobcat". Don't remember the
specifics of the rental contract. Used it for light clearing, and moving
soil/rocks. Excavating around and pulled some small tree stumps. Make
ready site use for home builder. "Bobcat" is topheavy. Stay away from
inclines unless heading directly at or away from incline.
Dave

Old 19-08-2007, 09:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Dave" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Anybody had any experience renting a mini or compact excavator ? What to
look out for contract wise ? Thinking about renting for a week.

In my case, they give it to you fueled. Have to give it back that way, or
they charge for refueling. It was delivered by the rental facility by
trailer, and picked up. They called it a "Bobcat". Don't remember the
specifics of the rental contract. Used it for light clearing, and moving
soil/rocks. Excavating around and pulled some small tree stumps. Make
ready site use for home builder. "Bobcat" is topheavy. Stay away from
inclines unless heading directly at or away from incline.
Dave

Thanks - I hadn't thought about the fuel.