Old 01-09-2007, 02:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Default Still going back and forth with Sears

willshak wrote:
on 8/30/2007 7:01 PM Clark said the following:
Art wrote:

Clark wrote:

Art wrote:
I have seen a lot of bent blades but I've never seen one that was bent
such that it stretched and sliced into the deck.
Let's just say it is a 20" blade. That is 10" from the center bolt or
it's pivot point to the tip. The deck will be approximately 10-1/4"
minimum distance from that same point. It is physically impossible to
bend a blade (by hitting a stick of any size) in such a way that it
becomes longer. The deck *must* be bent for that to happen. Either the
spindle mounting point was twisted causing the blade pivot point to
move or the edge of the deck was pushed into the path of the blade.
Either way that would take a pretty substantial amount of force and
more than the stick you describe could possibly be responsible for.

Sorry Art this deck is not like other decks, I know exactly what your
talking about, but this deck dips down at the discharge (behind it),
I guess it's some kinda aerodynamic thing,
If you want I can post a link to a picture.

Clark

Actually, it is like all other mower decks. The back of the deck is set
at the depth desired and the front is a little higher. The idea is that
the mower deck cuts twice. The front of the blades make the first cut
higher than the depth setting and the trailing edge makes the second cut
to the depth desired.
Instead of leaving long blades of cut grass, there will be shorter pieces.

No, you have that backwards. The blade is tipped ever so slightly
forward to cause the front edge to be just slightly lower. This greatly
increases the vacuum and it it lowers the drag on the blade.

But I agree that his deck is like others. Basic deck design pretty much
the same across the board. The deck will dip down behind the discharge.
That is what "encourages" the air and grass to leave through the
discharge chute.

--
Art
Old 01-09-2007, 02:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Clark" wrote:
If you want I can post a link to a picture.

Clark

To the Sears guy again?!

http://www.duke.edu/~rkl7/Images/slob.jpg
Old 01-09-2007, 01:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo wrote:
"Clark" wrote:
If you want I can post a link to a picture.

Clark

To the Sears guy again?!

http://www.duke.edu/~rkl7/Images/slob.jpg

He has darker hair, but I figure he looks like that on a sunday morning.
grin

Clark