Old 09-01-2008, 02:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rb rb is offline

Default PTO front belt brakes

This applies to front PTO shaft driven decks: the brake on front PTOs is
to help stop the belt revolution once the idler pulley is released. Start
the deck drive, the brake is off. Turn the deck drive off, the brake is on.

I may be making a mod to the front that will make it necessary to remove the
brake. I'm not sure I see any particular reason why this would be a
problem. Yes, the blades might spin a bit longer without the brake than
with it.

Anyone see a particular problem?

Old 10-01-2008, 02:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

rb wrote:
This applies to front PTO shaft driven decks: the brake on front PTOs is
to help stop the belt revolution once the idler pulley is released. Start
the deck drive, the brake is off. Turn the deck drive off, the brake is on.

I may be making a mod to the front that will make it necessary to remove the
brake. I'm not sure I see any particular reason why this would be a
problem. Yes, the blades might spin a bit longer without the brake than
with it.

Anyone see a particular problem?

No problem, except for the obvious one - you loose the ability to stop
the blades quickly in case of emergency. Say a cat (one that you happen
to like) dives under the mower, or a child comes running up to you,
stops short and slips on the grass and winds up partially under the
mower. Or someone not as safety conscience as you is using the mower and
does something stupid. There are any number of reasons you may want to
stop the blades as quickly as possible. None of them very common but
those situations do occur. It would really suck to encounter one of
those after having disabled the brake. IMHO, you should work your
modification around the brake.

--
Art
Old 10-01-2008, 03:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rb rb is offline

Thanks very much. That confirms my opinion. I will try to work around
it.

drum brakes, different spring? ('04 Cavalier) [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 04-07-2015 04:43 PM
Adjusting LT Brakes Ralph D. Lawns 1 11-07-2005 11:53 PM
John Deere 210 PTO won't disengage Dwight Gardening 0 26-10-2004 02:34 PM
PTO switch does not engage mower blade on JD LX173 desiglass Lawns 6 25-07-2004 05:51 PM