Old 28-02-2008, 06:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rb rb is offline

Default well question

At the top of a 40' well, we have a check valve prior to pump.

With the check valve below the pump, can a hand pump be put on and used with
the electrci pump?

Old 28-02-2008, 02:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"rb" wrote in message
. ..
At the top of a 40' well, we have a check valve prior to pump.

With the check valve below the pump, can a hand pump be put on and used
with the electrci pump?

Probably, but you will need a check valve between the hand pump and the user
for the electric pump.

Old 28-02-2008, 04:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chas Hurst wrote:
"rb" wrote in message
. ..
At the top of a 40' well, we have a check valve prior to pump.

With the check valve below the pump, can a hand pump be put on and
used with the electrci pump?

Probably, but you will need a check valve between the hand pump and
the user for the electric pump.

In other words, the check valve there now keeps the water from flowing
back into the underground reservoir. When you add the hand pump, you
need to add another check valve in the pipe going to it to prevent the
electric pump from sucking air through the hand pump instead of water
from the ground. Both check valves are to stop back flow.

I'm assuming you want a way to get water when power is out??

Tom J

Old 28-02-2008, 06:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Tom J" wrote in message
Chas Hurst wrote:
"rb" wrote in message
. ..
At the top of a 40' well, we have a check valve prior to pump.

With the check valve below the pump, can a hand pump be put on and
used with the electrci pump?

Probably, but you will need a check valve between the hand pump and
the user for the electric pump.

In other words, the check valve there now keeps the water from flowing
back into the underground reservoir. When you add the hand pump, you need
to add another check valve in the pipe going to it to prevent the electric
pump from sucking air through the hand pump instead of water from the
ground. Both check valves are to stop back flow.

I'm assuming you want a way to get water when power is out??

Tom J

The hand pump will already have an internal check valve. An addition check
valve will be needed so the hand pump can't draw water from the user of the
electric pump.

Old 28-02-2008, 06:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message

"Tom J" wrote in message
Chas Hurst wrote:
"rb" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I gotta add a valve will be needed to shut off the hand pump when it's not
in use, otherwise the electric pump will pump thru it.

Old 28-02-2008, 07:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rb rb is offline

Yes. The idea is to get water with no power, at least cost.

Old 28-02-2008, 07:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

rb wrote:
Yes. The idea is to get water with no power, at least cost.

Then my discription will work just fine, although I prefer my way, a
transfer switch on the power panel with a generator hooked to the
transfer box!!

Tom J

Old 28-02-2008, 10:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message

"Tom J" wrote in message
Chas Hurst wrote:
"rb" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Who comes up with these questions ? I need to know what he means by a 40'
well. A hand pump has limits as to how high it can lift. Then, if the lift
isn't too great, I envision a T in the main line and a shutoff valve between
the T and the hand pump.

Old 28-02-2008, 11:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

Who comes up with these questions ? I need to know what he means by a 40'
well. A hand pump has limits as to how high it can lift. Then, if the
lift isn't too great, I envision a T in the main line and a shutoff valve
between the T and the hand pump.

I just realized the lift is 40'. A hand pump won't lift more than about 22'.

Old 29-02-2008, 08:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"rb" wrote in message
Yes. The idea is to get water with no power, at least cost.

Unless the water table is within 22 or so feet vertically of the hand pump, the
hand pump won't work.

Old 29-02-2008, 09:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Bob F wrote:
"rb" wrote in message
Yes. The idea is to get water with no power, at least cost.

Unless the water table is within 22 or so feet vertically of the
hand
pump, the hand pump won't work.

Depends on the pump - 1 of those little $15 short handle pumps, you
are correct - the larger long handle, long stroke with tight pipe and
good check valve, you are wrong. We use to hand pump from 60 feet
down to a tank on a platform 20 feet up before we got electric power.
We did finally hook a single cylinder gas engine to a jack stand to
operate the pump before getting electric to the farm. It would fill a
1000 gallon tank using 1/2 gallon of gasoline!! Yes, I'm talking about
a loooong time ago!!

Tom J

Old 29-02-2008, 10:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Tom J" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
"rb" wrote in message
Yes. The idea is to get water with no power, at least cost.

Unless the water table is within 22 or so feet vertically of the hand
pump, the hand pump won't work.

Depends on the pump - 1 of those little $15 short handle pumps, you are
correct - the larger long handle, long stroke with tight pipe and good
check valve, you are wrong. We use to hand pump from 60 feet down to a
tank on a platform 20 feet up before we got electric power. We did finally
hook a single cylinder gas engine to a jack stand to operate the pump
before getting electric to the farm. It would fill a 1000 gallon tank
using 1/2 gallon of gasoline!! Yes, I'm talking about a loooong time ago!!

Tom J

Type of pump doesn't matter unless it's a jet-pump. The theoretical maximum
height is about 27', practical height is about 22'.

Old 29-02-2008, 11:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message

"Tom J" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
"rb" wrote in message
Yes. The idea is to get water with no power, at least cost.

Unless the water table is within 22 or so feet vertically of the hand
pump, the hand pump won't work.

Depends on the pump - 1 of those little $15 short handle pumps, you are
correct - the larger long handle, long stroke with tight pipe and good
check valve, you are wrong. We use to hand pump from 60 feet down to a
tank on a platform 20 feet up before we got electric power. We did
finally hook a single cylinder gas engine to a jack stand to operate the
pump before getting electric to the farm. It would fill a 1000 gallon
tank using 1/2 gallon of gasoline!! Yes, I'm talking about a loooong time
ago!!

Tom J

Type of pump doesn't matter unless it's a jet-pump. The theoretical
maximum height is about 27', practical height is about 22'.

He's having what one might call a "pipe dream".

Old 29-02-2008, 11:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message

"Tom J" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
"rb" wrote in message
[...]

Bwahaha! Good 'un. How's the maple surple doing?

Old 01-03-2008, 01:53 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default well question for nay sayers!!

Bob F wrote:
"rb" wrote in message
Yes. The idea is to get water with no power, at least cost.

Unless the water table is within 22 or so feet vertically of the
hand
pump, the hand pump won't work.

http://www.solar4power.com/solar-power-water-pump.html

Look at the 100L hand pump. The one we had back in the 1930's
wouldn't lift 500 feet like this will but it DID do what I said it
did!! Some people just don't have a clue and all they know to do is
turn on the faucet.

Tom J

Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 11-03-2009 11:51 PM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 10:23 PM
Well well! Judith in France United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 05:40 PM
Well well! Rusty_Hinge[_2_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 04:39 PM
Well well! Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 1 11-03-2009 03:58 PM