Old 06-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Registered User

Default Weeds in lawn

I am new to the site and gardening for that matter. My lawn is down about 18months now and while there is good grass there is also a huge amount of weeds. My question, is there anything I can put on the lawn that will kill off the weeds but not the grass.

Many Thanks
Old 06-06-2008, 03:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
Gary29428

Yes, of course. Go to any garden center, home center, etc. I
recommend getting a 2 gallon tank sprayer and using one of the liquid
products, like Weed B Gone. With the tank sprayer, you can deliver
the product right on target, which minimizes the amount of herbicide
and also increases effectiveness.

The other choice is a Weed n Feed type product, which I'm not a big
fan of and would not use unless the weeds are everywhere. Once the
lawn is under control, the tank/spot treatment approach is far
better. Also, you want to try to do it when the temps are not
extreme, ie 70s is better than 90s.

Either of those approaches will deal with the common broadleaf weeds,
which are 90% of the problem. If you have something other, like
crabgrass, weed grass, clover, etc, that's another story.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
On Jun 6, 4:48 am, Gary29428
wrote:
[...]

One other factor -- you don't say where you're located or what type of grass
you have. If you're in the Deep South and have St. Augustine grass most of
the weed-killer products will also damage your turf. Read the label very
carefully to make sure that the product you buy will be satisfactory on the
type of turfgrass you have -- or better yet, stop by your extension service
and talk to a Master Gardener about the best method of weed-removal.