Old 18-07-2008, 04:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default 3 year old Grass Seeds

I bought some grass seeds 3 years ago for a major re-grading and re-seeding
project I was doing at the time. The seeds, which were a local blend mixed
to suit my immediate area and climate, worked very well, giving me thick
growth and matching my existing lawn.

I cannot buy these particular grass seeds anymore as the local garden store
when I bought them has since gone out of business. However, I do have alot
of these seeds left over from my project 3 years ago. My question: Will 3
year old grass seeds, stored in my cool basement, still be good for seeding
if I use them now?

Thanks.

Old 18-07-2008, 07:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:35:29 -0500, "Pravda" wrote:

I bought some grass seeds 3 years ago for a major re-grading and re-seeding
project I was doing at the time. The seeds, which were a local blend mixed
to suit my immediate area and climate, worked very well, giving me thick
growth and matching my existing lawn.

I cannot buy these particular grass seeds anymore as the local garden store
when I bought them has since gone out of business. However, I do have alot
of these seeds left over from my project 3 years ago. My question: Will 3
year old grass seeds, stored in my cool basement, still be good for seeding
if I use them now?

Thanks.

Fall is the best time to re-seed the lawn.

You can test some of the seeds now in a pie pan with soil....see if
they germinate.
Old 19-07-2008, 06:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
EXT EXT is offline

Yes, they will grow. However the germination rate will be much lower as some
of the seeds will have died. You can test by picking out a random mix of 100
seeds and placing them on a 10 x 10 grid on a couple of layers of wet paper
towel, cover with another paper towel. Seal in a zip lock bag and set aside
on a flat surface. Every week check on the seeds to see how many sprout.
Some seeds can take up to 3 weeks to sprout so don't give up until after 3
weeks. Count the number of seeds that sprouted and it will give you a
percentage of seeds that are viable.

You will have to spread the seeds thicker than normal to compensate for the
reduction in germination. You may want to blend in some fresh seeds to help
out as well.

Old 19-07-2008, 07:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Thanks, I appreciate your direct reply to my question. I will follow your
suggestion and see what happens. Hopefully, I can just spread them thicker
and still get a pretty good result.