Old 18-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Registered User

Default Drainage Problem

Hi folks.

I have a serious drainage issue on my new lawn, which I never envisioned when I put my back garden together.

The lawn is on a slight slope upwards away from the house, and the water comes back down the way to the end of the lawn closest to the house and it is constantly saturated, even after a few days of dry. This patch is now covered in moss and is reallying stressing me out.

Under the grass is about 2 foot of very tough clayey soil, and then strangely there is a "semi" rock hard layer of sand stone, which although not fully rock, it is very tough to dent.

Does anyone have any simple solutions to help with this without having to dig up massive amounts of lawn and soil again?

I tried boring some holes down as far as I could get and filled them with sand (fine sand) to maybe allow the water to flow down further into the ground but it did not make much difference.

I have neighbours at each side so there is nowhere to really drain the water away from the garden by way of a french drain or similar.

If anyone has any ideas I am all ears.

Thanks
Old 19-05-2009, 10:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
Milesy

Regardless of the solution, you need to do it soon. Consistenly high
moisture content will affect your foundation's stability.
--
Dave

Old 19-05-2009, 11:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 19, 5:29*am, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:
"Milesy" wrote in message

[...]

Difficult to give advice on this without knowing more and/or actually
seeing it.

You say there are neighbors on either side, but what about using a
drain system to intercept the water and carry it around the house and
downhill to some point in your front yard, where it can continue on
it's way? Other than redirecting it, the only other way to deal with
it I can see would be to change the composition of the soil in much of
the back yard, so it will absorb water, which is an even bigger
headache.
Old 19-05-2009, 05:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 5/18/2009 5:02 AM, Milesy wrote:
[...]

I have a small lot in the city and I had a similar problem, compounded
by the unfortunate fact that my yard is downhill from the rest of the
block, with the lot to the South being downhill from me, but that would
be across my driveway.

I'm toying with the idea of filling in some strategic low spots in the
back of the yard, and then using some decorative brick or paving stones
to channel the water directly to the driveway, and letting it flow down
to the storm drain in the street.

I'm worried about ice buildup in the winter though... not to mention
the wear and tear on the concrete.

New Lawn Drainage Problem! gmb27 Lawns 6 02-04-2013 08:04 PM
Drainage problem in small yard Lori Gardening 1 17-09-2004 02:56 PM
roots sticking out of drainage holes + ant problem hjl Gardening 4 01-05-2004 04:14 AM
[IBC] Drainage and other unfortunate mysteries (was : Bonsai Today article on drainage) Andy Rutledge Bonsai 6 23-12-2003 05:42 PM
Repairing poor soil drainage Torben Edliq Lawns 0 29-03-2003 05:08 PM