Old 20-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Registered User

Default please help..new lawn

Help... I have recently laid new turf and someone said it would be a good idea to lay a permeable membrane before putting down the topsoil... 4.5 tonnes of topsoil for 60m square. I stupidly took their advice and laid down permeable weed control fabric. I’m worried now I don’t have enough soil depth for the root to bed in. please help! Will top dressing help build soil depth??
Old 21-05-2009, 11:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
jjb20

You don't tell us the most important thing, which is how deep it is..
If you have 4" of topsoil before the fabric, you should be OK. 6"
would be better. Topdressing will eventually build up the soil, but
it will take many applications over time. I don;t know whay anyone
would tell you to put down weed control fabric under topsoil. It is
intended to go on top of the soil, and under mulch or stone to prevent
weeds in beds.
Old 22-05-2009, 03:02 AM
Registered User

I have been in horticulture for 50 years and never heard of that, so it must have been something the company was pushing to boost sales, but why put it beneath the topsoil? You could have sprayed with Roundup first and that would have had the same effect. I wouldn't go back to them for advice.