Old 01-06-2009, 06:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Identify lawn weeds

charles cashion wrote:

Tony Sivori wrote:
Like Demons, they seem to be easier to kill once you know their name.
:-)

Weed #1

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Weed #1 is clover. Even without a name, almost any generic weed killer
will kill it. Scott Bonus S will take it out and encourage your grass.

Definitely not clover, even though it has a clover shaped leaf. Correctly
identified as Oxalis / Wood Sorrel by Jim Elbrecht in this thread.

--
Tony Sivori
Old 01-06-2009, 12:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Tony Sivori said:

Like Demons, they seem to be easier to kill once you know their name.

:-)

Weed #1

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...7tNIFgAgqCy5g?

feat=directlink

This is oxalis (AKA wood sorrel), most certainly. Edible, tart-flavored.
Persistant.

Weed #2

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...IDE70uwsMQEyQ?

feat=directlink

This is not purslane, it's chickweed.

It's a fall/winter sprouting weed, so spring pre-emergent herbicides are
not going to control it.

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/steme.htm

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 01-06-2009, 01:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

-snip-
Weed #2

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

This is not purslane, it's chickweed.

Mea Culpa-- A second look and I retract my mis-identification as
purslane. Too bad-- Chickweed is also an edible weed- but I'd
much prefer purslane.

It's a fall/winter sprouting weed, so spring pre-emergent herbicides are
not going to control it.

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/steme.htm

Probably doesn't need saying- but just in case. Make a choice of
nibbling or poisoning. Don't eat the plants if you're using an
herbicide.

Jim
Old 01-06-2009, 06:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Tony Sivori said:

Like Demons, they seem to be easier to kill once you know their name.
Weed #2

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...IDE70uwsMQEyQ?

feat=directlink

This is not purslane, it's chickweed.

Thanks for that. The Chickweed pictures that google brings up do match
perfectly.

--
Tony Sivori
Old 01-06-2009, 06:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Probably doesn't need saying- but just in case. Make a choice of nibbling
or poisoning. Don't eat the plants if you're using an herbicide.

Reminds me of that old saying: "There are bold mushroom hunters, and there
are old mushroom hunters. But there are no old, bold, mushroom hunters."

--
Tony Sivori