Old 11-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Registered User

Default Dead grass advice

Hi hopefullysomeone can please help me as a very novice gardener. Got our first garden and last year I decided to try to get rid of the weeds on the lawn. Unfortunately I didn't read the weedkiller bottle instructions and both the grass and weeds died leaving just soil. I threw some seed down and that didn't really work.
A few months ago I dug up the dead patches of turf, I increased the level of the earth by adding some compost and mixing it in then lying the turf so it was level with the remaining grass. The lawn looked fine for a few weeks then gradually I noticed where the old had died the new was dying too.
I imagine this is because the weedkiller is still lingering over a year later, I'm not sure what to do but dg deeper and try again...........
I hope this makes sense, any thoughts/help is appreciated
Old 12-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Registered User

Location: South Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalewool View Post
Unfortunately I didn't read the weedkiller bottle instructions
What brand of weedkiller did you use?

Have you read the bottle to see how long it works for in the soil?
__________________
You may give someone an education, but you cannot give them common sense.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesnapper View Post
What brand of weedkiller did you use?

Have you read the bottle to see how long it works for in the soil?
It was Tesco's own brand...
No sorry didnt check and don't have it any more
Old 13-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Registered User

Location: South Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalewool View Post
It was Tesco's own brand
If it was the *Tesco path weed killer this is known as and manufactured by DOFF (http://www.doff.co.uk/) Long lasting path clear.

It will stay resident and active in the soil for 3 - 6 (maybe even longer) months. Best to strip off the top 4 to 6" of top soil and replace or wait a good 12 months before you plant/seed/re-turf.

You cannot 'water' this out as you will just get a diluted solution causing 'run off*'.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Tesco Path Weed killer.

MAFF CODE: M12754
Actives: 2,4-D "AMITROLE DIURON" (AD)
More info he
http://tiny.cc/DJfd3
http://tiny.cc/2t1UW
http://tiny.cc/6YUSL
Intended manufactured field of use: HOME GARDEN WEEDKILLER ONLY.
Manufactured and approval holders: Doff Portland Ltd
Authorised (UK) outlets/retailer(s) (amongst others): DOFF Portland, Asda, Tesco, Wilkinson, B&Q and Focus Stores Limited.

If you have had the heavy rains the Amitrole Diuron may/will have been washed past the 6" top soil mark and possibly much deeper

You may even have a diluted '*run off' to other areas of your garden. This will stunt or slowly kill plants coming into contact with it.

This is why you should always read the label/instructions with any form of chemicals/feeds/bug control/cleaners etc., you are going to apply to your home or garden - the affects, as seen, can be very destructive and hugely expensive to rectify.
__________________
You may give someone an education, but you cannot give them common sense.
Old 15-07-2009, 12:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
Linesnapper

Since it was last year that whatever herbicide was applied and he's
tilled, added material, etc, it's also possible that it has nothing to
do with the herbicide. Was the area that was repaired kept
watered? If not, it could just be that with high temps and no water,
it had insufficient roots to survive.

First thing I'd do is go find another bottle of the herbicide and read
the label. Even the long lasting ones last about 6 months at best.
And I would suspect they would be more likely to cause the new seed to
fail immeadiately rather than look fine for a few weeks, then die.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Registered User

You could try new grass from seeds and make sure you give it pleanty of water and I would recommend some fertiliser to see if it can survive.

I found new grass needs a LOT of water.
Keep gardening till the cows come home.
solar mole repeller