Old 27-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Jason Baugher

Default Craftsman 4HP push mower starting problem

I have a Craftsman 4.0HP push mower, with the Tecumseh engine. It's
around 6 years old.

It's never really started very well. I've always had to push the primer
bulb way more times than I should (10 instead of 5) to get it started.

Anyway, even though it was annoying, it was still usable. But this last
year, it got much worse, requiring more and more pumping of the primer
bulb to get it started. It probably takes between 25-30 pumps now.

I'm no stranger to engines, although mainly with automotive, so I've
taken the entire carb apart, cleaned it up with carb cleaner, blown air
through the passages, replaced the inlet needle and seat, and replaced
the primer bulb. The only thing I couldn't clean very well, because of
their location, were some ports in the throttle body wall near the
throttle plate. Still no good - I still have to pump it many times
before it will fire over.

As I understand it, the primer bulb in this system doesn't pump gas
directly, it pressurizes the float bowl somehow and indirectly pushes gas
into the throttle body. But I'm not too clear on exactly where the gas
comes into the throttle body, which makes it hard to diagnose.

Any ideas or helpful hints?

Thanks,

--
Jason Baugher

Old 28-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Ed Lucarini

Do you have the owners manual? Craftsman manuals are very helpful. I
recently got a Craftsman weedwacker from a neighbor that didn't run. I
immediately went to sears.com parts and service and was able to order
specific parts by number for my weedwacker. I bought a copy of the manual
for $2.49. Then I put a skillsaw blade on it. It rocks!

. 64.100...

Old 28-04-2003, 11:45 PM
Dr. Doctor

when you push the primer bulb it make positive pressure in the float bowl
and pushes the gas up the emulation tube.
One question when is it hard to start? when unit is cold, when it is hot ,
or any time you start it.
if you answer hard start when cold here is what is wrong

[1] - the gas you are using is old, gas over 30 days after you buy it at the
pump will start going stale the older the gas the harder it will become to
start, also the cooler it is the hard it will be to start as well. if you
use a fuel stabilizer to extend the shelve life of the gas it will elminiate
this and no fuel stabilizer wont make old gas good.

[2] - when priming (this is critical) you must push and hold the primer bulb
for 1 or 2 seconds, then release and wait 2 seconds before pushing again. if
you push the bulb fast you wont prime the unit and it will be hard to start
even it you push it 25 times.

let us know how you made out, P.S. to see if the primer is working when the
unit is running give it a push and the mower should run rough for a couple
seconds.

Old 29-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Jason Baugher

"Dr. Doctor" wrote in alt.home.lawn.garden:

[...]

It's possible my primer technique is poor - I'll try again when the rain
stops.

I'm wondering also if the primer bulb is the wrong style for the carb. I
found a site that seemed to indicate that my carb is a series 11, and
that the primer bulb for it needed to sit on the carb in a certain way.

It's been long enough since this problem first started happening that I
can't remember for sure what the original bulb looked like. A week ago I
just stopped at the local parts place and got a new bulb. It was
different than the last one I had put on that wouldn't work, but it was
the same as the one on my Eager-1, so I assumed it was right. Now I'm
not so sure.

Oh, and it starts hard cold. Once running, I can kill it and start it
back up again with no problems, as long as I don't let it sit very long.

--
Jason Baugher

Old 29-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Tim Fischer

"Ed Lucarini" wrote in message
.net...
Then I put a skillsaw blade on it. It rocks!

Now there's a serious accident just ticking away and waiting to happen.

Two words: Blade Bounce.

-Tim