Old 24-09-2003, 07:02 PM
William D.

Default Craftsman push mower question

I have a 21 inch, 6.0 hp Craftsman (Crapsman?) push lawn mower. My lawn is
primarily blue grass with some rye. When I cut the fine bladed grass on the
middle height setting, the mower doesn't cut very evenly. It seems to just
push the grass over. BTW - if I lower the deck it does a better job, but I
don't like to cut my grass that short. Does this mower have a defective
design? Any suggestions are appreciated.
William

Old 25-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Chet Hayes

"Die Spammer !!!" wrote in message ...
Is the blade sharp?

"William D." wrote:

I have a 21 inch, 6.0 hp Craftsman (Crapsman?) push lawn mower. My lawn is
primarily blue grass with some rye. When I cut the fine bladed grass on the
middle height setting, the mower doesn't cut very evenly. It seems to just
push the grass over. BTW - if I lower the deck it does a better job, but I
don't like to cut my grass that short. Does this mower have a defective
design? Any suggestions are appreciated.
William

Is it a conventional blade or a mulching blade? The worst cuts I've
seen have been from a conventional design mower outfitted with one of
the add-on mulching blades. This tends to give a rough cut,
especially in thin grass areas.

A true mulching mower gives a much better result, thats what I use,
but even they tend to have some problems in thinner areas, where they
tend to push the grass over.
Old 25-09-2003, 06:22 PM
William D.

My blade could probably use sharpening, but it was new at the beginning of
the season and I noticed the issue then as well.

As an aside, my business partner has the same type mower and he experiences
the same problem. Thanks for you help.
William

Old 26-09-2003, 02:02 PM
William D.

I do have a mulching blade. I will try a conventional blade and see if it
helps. Thanks
William

om...

Old 30-09-2003, 02:35 AM
zero

I run a 48" Scag walk-behind for private use mowing 2 or less acres and the
cut is beautiful. They make a 32" for smaller lawns; maybe more than you
would ever think of spending but worth every penny. You would most likely
cut your mowing time in half. Yeah, I'm a bit obsessed with the appearance
of my lawn, but I also love the time savings. You could get the 32" model
for just over $2k with 13 horses; think of the power, you would be the envy
of all your neighbors. The build quality is incredible, it would last you a
life time. http://www.scag.com/index-wb.htm