Old 08-03-2010, 03:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default fertilizer question for vegetables

I am a pharmacist and have a bottle of potassium nitrate. I figure I
can just work it into the soil when I prepare my garden as
fertilizer?? Or should I sprinkle it on the ground after the plants
are growing.

I also have a bag of lawn starter fertilizer that has not been used in
almost 10 years. I was going to throw it away, but wanted to know if
that would work for a vegetable garden. Again, should I work it into
the soil before planting?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2010, 12:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mar 8, 10:53*am, Eddie G wrote:
I am a pharmacist and have a bottle of potassium nitrate. *I figure I
can just work it into the soil when I prepare my garden as
fertilizer?? *Or should I sprinkle it on the ground after the plants
are growing.

I also have a bag of lawn starter fertilizer that has not been used in
almost 10 years. *I was going to throw it away, but wanted to know if
that would work for a vegetable garden. *Again, should I work it into
the soil before planting?

Thanks

I tend to sprinkle around vegetables as if fertilizer reaches plants
too fast it may burn it. Because of this I do not fertilize
transplants until a week after they have been in the ground. Lawn
fertilizer is OK to use but you might want to suppliment with K or P
if they are too low. Also use limestone around tomatoes to prevent
blossom end rot.

fertilizer question ed Roses 3 20-01-2004 09:27 PM
Too much fertilizer makes vegetables poisonous? Tony Edible Gardening 8 26-10-2003 01:12 AM
Fertilizer Question Frank Mamone Freshwater Aquaria Plants 14 20-04-2003 06:24 AM
Fertilizer Question Frank Mamone Freshwater Aquaria Plants 22 04-03-2003 02:15 PM
Question: Need Queen Palm Fertilizer Toby Gardening 0 07-02-2003 08:31 PM