Old 27-11-2010, 11:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Cut-off for grass seed in New England?

I know, stoooopid question, but I have some construction areas that
have just recently been re-top soiled. Located in Central CT I am
wondering how late into the season I can spread starter fertilizer and
new grass seed (of course, not for germination but to be ready for
next spring)?
Old 11-12-2010, 02:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Nov 27, 6:57*am, bobmct wrote:
I know, stoooopid question, but I have some construction areas that
have just recently been re-top soiled. *Located in Central CT I am
wondering how late into the season I can spread starter fertilizer and
new grass seed (of course, not for germination but to be ready for
next spring)?

I don't see the need to spread it in CT when it's almost Dec. Best
case
it will sit there until Spring, during which time it's exposed and
could be
blown away, eaten by rodents, or if it's on any slope it can be
washed away with rain I'd also bet even if it all stays where it's
supposed
to be, you'd get a lower germination rate than if you just seed in
early Spring.

Worst case, you have a warming spell and it starts to germinate,
doesn't get
established enough and then gets killed by the hard cold of winter.
And forget
about starter fertilizer now, that's a total waste. By Spring, when
it'd needed,
it will be gone.

What you want to do is seed in Spring. You can put it down a little
early, in which
case it will sit there for just a few weeks before germinating.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 06:58:36 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Nov 27, 6:57*am, bobmct wrote:
[...]

Thanks, trader;

Lets hope for an early spring. Not to hibernate for the remainder of
winter!!!