Old 11-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Olavi Akerman

Default steel deck lawnmowers and rust - how long do they last?

I'm currently undecided between getting a steel deck mower or more
expensive aluminium one. I rains a lot where I live, so the grass will
be quite wet.

In your experience - how long can I expect the steel mower to last
before it rusts through or becomes othewise unsafe to operate due to
rust?

Thanks,
Olavi
Old 05-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Chet Hayes

I would recommend considering the Honda Harmony too. The deck is all
heavy duty plastic, very welll made. I've had one for 4 years now and
am very happy with it.

Matt wrote in message ...
(Olavi Akerman) wrote in
m:

I'm currently undecided between getting a steel deck mower or more
expensive aluminium one. I rains a lot where I live, so the grass will
be quite wet.

In your experience - how long can I expect the steel mower to last
before it rusts through or becomes othewise unsafe to operate due to
rust?

Thanks,
Olavi

If you live in an area with acidic soil, or fertilize a lot,
NEITHER will last very long, unless you spend the money for
a top quality, heavy gauge, steel deck. I don't mean one of
those cheap Toro machines at the BORG either. I mean something
with 14 ga. or heavier steel in the deck. Like a Snapper HiVac
or a commercial mower. Or you could get a Honda Harmony PLASTIC
deck.

If the soil isn't very acid, and you don't fertilize heavily,
then any good quality mower will last a long time if you keep
it cleaned out. Wet grass is itself acidic, and if left in an
aluminum deck wet for extended periods will corrode it quickly.
I have seen Toro, John Deere, Honda, and even the old Snapper
aluminum decks rot out in just three or four years when left
with wet, fertilized clippings in them.

Matt