Old 13-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Gene Moon

Default Ivy

Two questions:

1. I have ivy in area that I want to get rid of and then eventually tear
down to just grow grass. How do I get rid of the ivy and still make the
soil "healthy" for grass?

2. I have an area in the front yard I would like to have ivy, can I
transplant ivy and how?

Old 28-05-2003, 06:20 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Ivy transplants very well, you only need to cut off the ivy and transplant
it, at least thats what Ive done in the past. On stubborn cases, I used to
cut the ivy and put it in a jar of water, then wait for the roots to
develop, then plant it. Ivy in my experience never looks good the first year
of transplanting, but on the seoncd year it seems to do much better.

As for getting rid of it, I opted to rototill for 2 seasons to get rid of
unwanted ivy. Unfortuntately now I want the ivy back, but it's too late for
that.

"Gene Moon" wrote in message
news : Two questions:
:

Old 04-06-2003, 11:56 PM

For my limited-experience-two-cents: I have bushes on either side of my
house; one side has beautiful ivy ground cover, the other side has none. So
I cut off some of the shoots that were growing into the garden and simply
buried the stems loosely and carelessly under 1/4" of dirt, leaving the
leaves exposed. After 2 weeks the stems had firmly rooted into the new soil
but the leaves were dying, so I left it alone but tried another
transplanting. Within a week, new leaves were sprouting from the old vine
from the first attempt. I didn't even water it. So it seems like a piece
of cake from my short experience. Hope you have as much luck

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote in message
Ivy transplants very well, you only need to cut off the ivy and transplant
it, at least thats what Ive done in the past. On stubborn cases, I used to
cut the ivy and put it in a jar of water, then wait for the roots to
develop, then plant it. Ivy in my experience never looks good the first

year
of transplanting, but on the seoncd year it seems to do much better.

As for getting rid of it, I opted to rototill for 2 seasons to get rid of
unwanted ivy. Unfortuntately now I want the ivy back, but it's too late

for
that.

"Gene Moon" wrote in message
news : Two questions:
:
: 1. I have ivy in area that I want to get rid of and then eventually

tear
: down to just grow grass. How do I get rid of the ivy and still make the
: soil "healthy" for grass?
:
: 2. I have an area in the front yard I would like to have ivy, can I
: transplant ivy and how?
:
: G
:
:

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 06:03 PM