Old 13-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Brigitte J.

Default WHY does my lawnmower...

pop and back-fire? What do I need to do to correct this problem?

TIA,
Brigitte

Old 13-05-2003, 11:20 PM

"Brigitte J." wrote:
pop and back-fire? What do I need to do to correct this problem?

TIA,
Brigitte

How old is the spark plug?

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 13-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Brad Bruce

"Brigitte J." wrote in news:S0ewa.20567$Dd4.6424902
@news.alltel.net:

pop and back-fire? What do I need to do to correct this problem?

TIA,
Brigitte

Sounds like either the flywheel key is bent or the ignition coil is loose.

Have you hit anything lately or gotten anthing caught inside the top of the
engine?

NJBrad
Old 13-05-2003, 11:44 PM
BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com

On Tue, 13 May 2003 22:07:46 GMT, "Brigitte J." wrote:

pop and back-fire? What do I need to do to correct this problem?

TIA,
Brigitte

An air leak in the intake manifold on an engine will sometimes cause this. On a
lawnmower, this could be as simple as the carb being loose. Make sure all
mounting screws are tight and see if you still have a problem.

BB
Old 14-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Brigitte J.

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
. 2...
"Brigitte J." wrote in news:S0ewa.20567$Dd4.6424902
@news.alltel.net:

pop and back-fire? What do I need to do to correct this problem?

TIA,
Brigitte

Sounds like either the flywheel key is bent or the ignition coil is loose.

Have you hit anything lately or gotten anthing caught inside the top of

the
engine?

NJBrad

It's quite possible. My boys mow our lawns and they treat the mowers like
they didn't have to pay for them, if you know what I mean.

Is this any easy fix? Any help is appreciated.

Brigitte

Old 14-05-2003, 04:09 AM
Dr. Doctor

popping can be a few things, older unit carb is not adjusted right newer
units have fixed jets and cant be adjusted, plugged airfilter, misadjust
float level.
those are the simple ones.
major problems is a valve is not seating properly and you get a popping
noise, or the head gasket has failed.
as for the key being sheered no, when sheered the unit wont run. Out of the
1000's I fixed with this problem I can only remember 1 that sheered and did
not change the timing enough so it still ran.
I see you have a lot of posts on here in different groups with different
problems. A cheap and good place for someone to do it them self is a service
manual from the engine manufacture for the model you have. last I checked
they can be bought for under $20.00 but it has been a while. Also the local
library may even have the book for you to read and copy for your self.

Old 14-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Brad Bruce

"Brigitte J." wrote in
:

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
. 2...
"Brigitte J." wrote in
news:S0ewa.20567$Dd4.6424902 @news.alltel.net:

pop and back-fire? What do I need to do to correct this problem?

TIA,
Brigitte

Sounds like either the flywheel key is bent or the ignition coil is
loose.

Have you hit anything lately or gotten anthing caught inside the top
of

the
engine?

NJBrad

It's quite possible. My boys mow our lawns and they treat the mowers
like they didn't have to pay for them, if you know what I mean.

Is this any easy fix? Any help is appreciated.

Brigitte

I'd try the other suggestions that have been posted first. If they don't
work, you're probably better off finding a local small shop where they
can look at it. It could take a little as 5 minutes for them to fix it.

NJBrad