Old 11-06-2003, 07:09 PM
Punch

Default grass how tall?

whats the proper height for grass?

Old 12-06-2003, 01:56 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

I believe it depends on the type of grass it is, for mine the sod layer said
3", and when I tried to cut it really low it really turned brown, but I
threw out some other seed last year and that area does well cut down really
low.

"Punch" wrote in message
.. .
: whats the proper height for grass?
:
:

Old 13-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Jim Sullivan

"Punch" wrote in message
.. .
whats the proper height for grass?

Depends on the grass, but I've always believed that longer grass needs less
water and keeps the weeds down. I try to keep mine around 3 inches.

Old 13-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Peter H

"Punch" wrote in message
.. .
whats the proper height for grass?

creeping bentgrass greens 1/16"
Kentucky bluegrass/ perennial ryegrass lawn and 1/2" to 3". The shorter you
keep it the more grass plants per square foot.

Peter H

Old 13-06-2003, 08:44 PM
love me tender, love me sweet

Peter H wrote:
"Punch" wrote in message
.. .

whats the proper height for grass?

creeping bentgrass greens 1/16"
Kentucky bluegrass/ perennial ryegrass lawn and 1/2" to 3". The shorter you
keep it the more grass plants per square foot.

Peter H

You won't even find 1/16" greens at Augusta National. 5/32 is about as
low as you want to go for bentgrass, but how many homeowners have
bentgrass? Fescue and bluegrass should be 2.5 to 3 inches. Rye about
2". Bermuda can go down to 1/2"

Fescue and rye are bunch-type grasses. They do not spread when mowed
closely. The only thing close mowing does for them is kill them.
Bluegrass has rhizomes, but it still needs to be kept above 2.5".

Old 14-06-2003, 06:31 AM
Punch

"love me tender, love me sweet" "love me tender, love me sweet" wrote in
message ...
Peter H wrote:
"Punch" wrote in message
.. .

whats the proper height for grass?

creeping bentgrass greens 1/16"
Kentucky bluegrass/ perennial ryegrass lawn and 1/2" to 3". The shorter

you
keep it the more grass plants per square foot.

Peter H

You won't even find 1/16" greens at Augusta National. 5/32 is about as
low as you want to go for bentgrass, but how many homeowners have
bentgrass? Fescue and bluegrass should be 2.5 to 3 inches. Rye about
2". Bermuda can go down to 1/2"

Fescue and rye are bunch-type grasses. They do not spread when mowed
closely. The only thing close mowing does for them is kill them.
Bluegrass has rhizomes, but it still needs to be kept above 2.5".

I think its bluegrass, it was sod! its canada, it gets cold and hot

Punch

How tall is TOO tall for seedlings? qazwsxed Gardening 3 23-03-2011 09:57 PM
Struggling to find homes for New Zealand Tree Ferns ranging in size from 7ft tall to over 10ft tall. PLEASE HELP [email protected] Gardening 0 26-07-2007 12:12 AM
Grass too tall? Michael Rogers Lawns 3 02-05-2003 02:32 AM
Tall tomatoes Mike Stickney Edible Gardening 4 06-03-2003 03:27 AM
How tall is Osakazuki - Japanese Maple Andrew Tan Gardening 4 25-02-2003 01:27 PM