Old 30-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Weather Bookie

Default Bad soil, mad wife, help !

"Why won't your stupid grass grow"

"Well Honey, we have bad soil"

"Then fix it" she said.

We built a house last year and the back yard simply will not grow. I'm
reasonably knowledgeable about grass growing but need some help with this
one.

Our soil wouldn't "perk" because of the red clay here in Piedmont Virginia.
After the final grade, I seeded, fertilized, limed and strawed. We've had
plenty of rain....and I've overseeded the wash out areas.

I planted turf-type tall fescue recommended for this area.

The soil is just bad. The front yard has better soil and has grown fine. I
have a lush, thick lawn already.

The backyard dries out after just a day without rain.

Through hard work and TLC, I have a basic lawn established but I can tell it
will never be nice unless I enhance the soil.

I have about an acre of problem area and a nice assortment of lawn tools to
attack it with.

Any suggestions on how to improve my soil ?

Old 30-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Tom J

"Weather Bookie" wrote in message

The backyard dries out after just a day without rain.

Through hard work and TLC, I have a basic lawn established but I can tell it
will never be nice unless I enhance the soil.

I have about an acre of problem area and a nice assortment of lawn tools to
attack it with.

Any suggestions on how to improve my soil ?

What I did with my red clay yard that was rock hard and wouldn't perk. I
found a horse stable about 5 miles from where I live that had a large pile of
well rotted stable cleanings - free for the taking. I hauled enough stable
cleanings (called 'black gold') to cover the yard at least 6 inches deep. I
then wet it down until it was wet to the clay. I waited a week and went to
roto-tilling it into the clay. When I had it all cut into the top 6 inches of
clay, I spread 200 pounds of high nitrogen general purpose fertilizer per
1000 sq. ft. and another 6 inches of "black gold" and roto-tilled it into the
soil. The roto-tiller I used could go to 12 inches deep, so when I finished
the second roto-tilling I had 12 inches of loam that would crumble between
your fingers and held water like a sponge.

That was 6 years ago and my lawn is still dense, green and never needs
watering, even here in GA where we had been in a severe drought for 4 years
until lately. I do add lime and fertilizer each year per soil test
recommendations.

Tom J

Old 01-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Carl e Roberts

15 years ago here in Memphis I applied 24 cu yds of white masonry grade sand to
the yard. Bermuda grass rose to the top and spread nicely.. Today- a nice lawn
that drains well even after a heavy rain. Also you will hear "apply large
amounts of organic material" and pelletized gypsum to break down the clay.