Old 17-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Registered User

Default weeds today affect next year?

thanks for all the answers in the previous thread.

I've pretty much given up on having a decent lawn this summer because of the weed problem and burnt patches. I'm looking forward to next year. Now I've pulled a lot of clovers/crab grass by hand to avoid further damaging my lawn with weed killers.. but there is still quite of bit of weeds remaining. Now is it necessary for me to get rid of all the weed this year if I plan on following Scotts five or six step program that is listed on back of its products for seeding? Can I resurrect my lawn for next year without deweeding everything this summer if I start following a good program next year? Otherwise, I probably have to till half of my lawn this summer to get rid of the weed and start reseeding..which obviously requires a lot more work. Thanks for any response or suggestion.
Old 18-07-2003, 09:10 AM
Die Spammer !!!!!

quaspro wrote:

thanks for all the answers in the previous thread.

I've pretty much given up on having a decent lawn this summer because
of the weed problem and burnt patches. I'm looking forward to next
year. Now I've pulled a lot of clovers/crab grass by hand to avoid
further damaging my lawn with weed killers.. but there is still quite
of bit of weeds remaining. Now is it necessary for me to get rid of
all the weed this year if I plan on following Scotts five or six step
program that is listed on back of its products for seeding? Can I
resurrect my lawn for next year without deweeding everything this
summer if I start following a good program next year? Otherwise, I
probably have to till half of my lawn this summer to get rid of the
weed and start reseeding..which obviously requires a lot more work.
Thanks for any response or suggestion.

one way or another you are going to have to pull the weeds. before or after its dead.
might as well do it now...

Old 18-07-2003, 12:03 PM
Peter H

--
quaspro

I would wait until the fall and go after them then. If you don't get them
this fall they will be back with a vengeance next year. I would try 2
herbicide applications spaced 2 weeks apart in September.

Peter H

Old 18-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Chet Hayes

A lot depends on what we don't know. It sounds from this and your
is besides the obvious broadleaf weeds and crabgrass, what else is
wrong? Are there other undesirable grasses and weeds that won't be
killed with weed killer designed for lawns? Is the grass a desirable
variety that looks good and is disease resistant and hence worth
saving or is it just crap that will always be a problem with or
without weeds? Is the soil of sufficient depth and quality?

Given what you've described and without knowing more, I would kill it
with Roundup in late august and reseed in Sept. If the soil needs
fixing, do it. Reseed with the best grass seed you can find, get one
that is endophyte enhanced. I'd suggest a combination of blue grass
and tall fescue. Another option would be to go with sod, which given
your lawn is only 20X20, is cost effective.

Old 22-07-2003, 10:21 AM
Registered User

thanks for all the responses.

Looks like I need to go to war against the weeds sooner than later.