Old 28-07-2003, 07:33 AM

Default Catching Snails?

Can anyone tell me how to go about catching snails WITHOUT poisoning
them or drowning them? I have heard that snails love beer (can you
blame them?), but how would you set up a snail trap where they are
kept alive, but can't get out?
I intend to cook them, after they have "cleaned themselves" out. Bran
or something?
Anyway, a good snail trap that doesn't poison or drown them? I hear
that they like dark damp areas.
Old 28-07-2003, 09:42 AM
George

wrote in message
om...
Can anyone tell me how to go about catching snails WITHOUT poisoning
them or drowning them? I have heard that snails love beer (can you
blame them?), but how would you set up a snail trap where they are
kept alive, but can't get out?
I intend to cook them, after they have "cleaned themselves" out. Bran
or something?
Anyway, a good snail trap that doesn't poison or drown them? I hear
that they like dark damp areas.

A milk jug cut in half with tomatoes in it might work. Slugs like them. I
don't see why a snail wouldn't like them. Remember though, that some snails
are poisonous, so make sure you know what you are eating. Yuk.

Old 28-07-2003, 10:25 PM
paghat

In article , "Michael
Berridge" wrote:

wrote in message ...
Can anyone tell me how to go about catching snails WITHOUT poisoning
them or drowning them? I have heard that snails love beer (can you
blame them?), but how would you set up a snail trap where they are
kept alive, but can't get out?
I intend to cook them, after they have "cleaned themselves" out. Bran
or something?
Anyway, a good snail trap that doesn't poison or drown them? I hear
that they like dark damp areas.

Edible snails are few and far between and only occur in a small number
of protected sites in the South. Normal garden snails are AFAIK, not
edible, even after being fed on bran.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

The garden snails found here in the Pacific Northwest of the USA are
introduced European snails & perfectly edible, not that hardly anyone
bothers to eat them, indeed the idea of eating snails seems to be regarded
by the majority of Americans as a very peculiar habit of French people, &
generally to be avoided.

But so too, regular ol' tough-hided English garden slugs (introduced
throughout N.A.), and big ol' nightcrawler earthworms, are likewise
perfectly edible if one knows how to prepare them correctly, & is neither
squeemish nor a vegetarian. See Frank R. Howard's cookbook, BEST
WASHINGTON SLUG RECIPES, & see:
http://bertc.com/slug_fritters.htm

Or for EARTHWORM YUMMIES see:
http://bertc.com/natural.htm
http://www.naturewatch.ca/english/wo...l/recipes.html

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 29-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Repeating Decimal

The fasted snail I have ever seen was not able to outrun me. Hide perhaps.
:=)

Bill

Old 29-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Russell Eberhardt

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:11:35 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:

I intend to cook them, after they have "cleaned themselves" out. Bran
or something?
Anyway, a good snail trap that doesn't poison or drown them? I hear
that they like dark damp areas.

I thought that *slugs* love beer, not snails. For snails, if I recall
correctly, leave orange peels overnight and pick them off in the morning.

Well, here in the South of France, after the rare occasion s when it
rains, all the locals are to be seen wearing wellies and carrying
carrier bags collecting snails. Let them "clean themselves out", what
nonsense - straight onto the BBQ with some garlic butter. Delicious!

Regards,
Russell.
Old 30-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Doug Bashford

General purpose bug trap:

1) Cut the 1/3 top off a 2-liter plastic soda bottle.
2) Cut off the top of that, just big enough to allow snails thru.
Invert modified top and connect it to bottom of jug
for a one-way funnel trap. Seal with masking tape, ...whatever.
3)Bury in ground to keep cool and dark, with open funnel
near ground surface.

4) Bait with a little stale beer, the yeast odor will
attract snails & slugs from 10+ feet away. Or use wet
yeast. (Use wimpy American yellow beer. Do not use stuff
like Arogant ******* Ale, it's too hoppy, and too potent.
http://www.arrogant*******.com/ )

Do step 2) first, for ease of cutting.

Serving suggestions:
Use plenty of garlic, and
drink 2 bottles of Arogant ******* Ale first.

--Doug

Old 30-07-2003, 11:02 PM
George

"Doug Bashford" wrote in message

General purpose bug trap:

1) Cut the 1/3 top off a 2-liter plastic soda bottle.
2) Cut off the top of that, just big enough to allow snails thru.
Invert modified top and connect it to bottom of jug
for a one-way funnel trap. Seal with masking tape, ...whatever.
3)Bury in ground to keep cool and dark, with open funnel
near ground surface.

4) Bait with a little stale beer, the yeast odor will
attract snails & slugs from 10+ feet away. Or use wet
yeast. (Use wimpy American yellow beer. Do not use stuff
like Arogant ******* Ale, it's too hoppy, and too potent.
http://www.arrogant*******.com/ )

Do step 2) first, for ease of cutting.

Serving suggestions:
Use plenty of garlic, and
drink 2 bottles of Arogant ******* Ale first.

--Doug

Here's a better way to catch snails. Get a really big hook and a strong
line. Attach the hook to a Frenchman, throw him in the backyard, and wait.
:-)