Old 28-07-2003, 07:32 AM

Default Catching Snails?

Can anyone tell me how to go about catching snails WITHOUT poisoning
them or drowning them? I have heard that snails love beer (can you
blame them?), but how would you set up a snail trap where they are
kept alive, but can't get out?
I intend to cook them, after they have "cleaned themselves" out. Bran
or something?
Anyway, a good snail trap that doesn't poison or drown them? I hear
that they like dark damp areas.
Old 28-07-2003, 09:32 AM
David Hare-Scott

wrote in message
om...
Can anyone tell me how to go about catching snails WITHOUT poisoning
them or drowning them? I have heard that snails love beer (can you
blame them?), but how would you set up a snail trap where they are
kept alive, but can't get out?
I intend to cook them, after they have "cleaned themselves" out. Bran
or something?
Anyway, a good snail trap that doesn't poison or drown them? I hear
that they like dark damp areas.

Wait for a dry spell of weather and after a few days of dryness wait for
a solid afternoon shower of rain or give your garden and lawn a good
watering in the late afternoon to produce the same result. Pay
attention to areas near hiding places, such as piles of bricks or
timber, rockeries, tubs, thick grass near fences, etc, anywhere that
snails will hide away from the sun. After dark go out with a good
strong light and a bucket. All your snails will have come out to feed
and take advantage of the damp conditions. You should be able to pick
them up by the handful.

David

Old 28-07-2003, 09:42 AM
George

wrote in message
om...
Can anyone tell me how to go about catching snails WITHOUT poisoning
them or drowning them? I have heard that snails love beer (can you
blame them?), but how would you set up a snail trap where they are
kept alive, but can't get out?
I intend to cook them, after they have "cleaned themselves" out. Bran
or something?
Anyway, a good snail trap that doesn't poison or drown them? I hear
that they like dark damp areas.

A milk jug cut in half with tomatoes in it might work. Slugs like them. I
don't see why a snail wouldn't like them. Remember though, that some snails
are poisonous, so make sure you know what you are eating. Yuk.

Old 28-07-2003, 10:32 PM
paghat

In article , "Michael
Berridge" wrote:

wrote in message ...
Can anyone tell me how to go about catching snails WITHOUT poisoning
them or drowning them? I have heard that snails love beer (can you
blame them?), but how would you set up a snail trap where they are
kept alive, but can't get out?
I intend to cook them, after they have "cleaned themselves" out. Bran
or something?
Anyway, a good snail trap that doesn't poison or drown them? I hear
that they like dark damp areas.

Edible snails are few and far between and only occur in a small number
of protected sites in the South. Normal garden snails are AFAIK, not
edible, even after being fed on bran.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

The garden snails found here in the Pacific Northwest of the USA are
introduced European snails & perfectly edible, not that hardly anyone
bothers to eat them, indeed the idea of eating snails seems to be regarded
by the majority of Americans as a very peculiar habit of French people, &
generally to be avoided.

But so too, regular ol' tough-hided English garden slugs (introduced
throughout N.A.), and big ol' nightcrawler earthworms, are likewise
perfectly edible if one knows how to prepare them correctly, & is neither
squeemish nor a vegetarian. See Frank R. Howard's cookbook, BEST
WASHINGTON SLUG RECIPES, & see:
http://bertc.com/slug_fritters.htm

Or for EARTHWORM YUMMIES see:
http://bertc.com/natural.htm
http://www.naturewatch.ca/english/wo...l/recipes.html

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 29-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Repeating Decimal

The fasted snail I have ever seen was not able to outrun me. Hide perhaps.
:=)

Bill

Old 29-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Russell Eberhardt

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:11:35 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:

I intend to cook them, after they have "cleaned themselves" out. Bran
or something?
Anyway, a good snail trap that doesn't poison or drown them? I hear
that they like dark damp areas.

I thought that *slugs* love beer, not snails. For snails, if I recall
correctly, leave orange peels overnight and pick them off in the morning.

Well, here in the South of France, after the rare occasion s when it
rains, all the locals are to be seen wearing wellies and carrying
carrier bags collecting snails. Let them "clean themselves out", what
nonsense - straight onto the BBQ with some garlic butter. Delicious!

Regards,
Russell.
Old 30-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Doug Bashford

General purpose bug trap:

1) Cut the 1/3 top off a 2-liter plastic soda bottle.
2) Cut off the top of that, just big enough to allow snails thru.
Invert modified top and connect it to bottom of jug
for a one-way funnel trap. Seal with masking tape, ...whatever.
3)Bury in ground to keep cool and dark, with open funnel
near ground surface.

4) Bait with a little stale beer, the yeast odor will
attract snails & slugs from 10+ feet away. Or use wet
yeast. (Use wimpy American yellow beer. Do not use stuff
like Arogant ******* Ale, it's too hoppy, and too potent.
http://www.arrogant*******.com/ )

Do step 2) first, for ease of cutting.

Serving suggestions:
Use plenty of garlic, and
drink 2 bottles of Arogant ******* Ale first.

--Doug

Old 30-07-2003, 11:02 PM
George

"Doug Bashford" wrote in message

General purpose bug trap:

1) Cut the 1/3 top off a 2-liter plastic soda bottle.
2) Cut off the top of that, just big enough to allow snails thru.
Invert modified top and connect it to bottom of jug
for a one-way funnel trap. Seal with masking tape, ...whatever.
3)Bury in ground to keep cool and dark, with open funnel
near ground surface.

4) Bait with a little stale beer, the yeast odor will
attract snails & slugs from 10+ feet away. Or use wet
yeast. (Use wimpy American yellow beer. Do not use stuff
like Arogant ******* Ale, it's too hoppy, and too potent.
http://www.arrogant*******.com/ )

Do step 2) first, for ease of cutting.

Serving suggestions:
Use plenty of garlic, and
drink 2 bottles of Arogant ******* Ale first.

--Doug

Here's a better way to catch snails. Get a really big hook and a strong
line. Attach the hook to a Frenchman, throw him in the backyard, and wait.
:-)