Old 17-08-2003, 04:12 PM
GNTRY

Default lawn question

I would like to know what the best approach to this problem would be.
We would like to re-grade our back yard, approx. 75ft. x 60ft. is very
uneven, so much that you could twist an ankle if running around. various
ruts, high spots etc. would a total re-grade be better then just filling in
the low spots with fill and topsoil? probably looking at some spots as low
as 8-12 inches below high spots. any suggestions?

Old 18-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Die Spamer !!!

GNTRY wrote:

I would like to know what the best approach to this problem would be.
We would like to re-grade our back yard, approx. 75ft. x 60ft. is very
uneven, so much that you could twist an ankle if running around. various
ruts, high spots etc. would a total re-grade be better then just filling in
the low spots with fill and topsoil? probably looking at some spots as low
as 8-12 inches below high spots. any suggestions?

I just redid my yard. I ended up tilling and tried to till only a few inches.
but ended up tilling deeper due to some tree roots growing across my yard. .
Seems like filling your low spots might not be enough and more work then
neccessary. Before I redid my yard, I had very uneven soil. Maybe not as bad as
yours but was tired of my push mower rocking like I was mowing over a freshly
plowed field. Tilling your size yard would be too much work for one person. If
you dont have a yard tractor and tiller attachment, I would seriousely consider
renting or borrowing one for smoothing out your soil.

Once the soil is smooth and even, everyone should stay off it, till the grass
grows back full and soil is hard which my be after winter/spring rains now.
Depending on your location.