Old 26-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Nana Hoolie

Default DIY trouble - I thought natureway were safe

Hello.
Wet day after rain. root; debris & compact organical top soil
were burning slowly without fire seen, only smoke was seen coming
up from a round black spot of a lawn.
Round spot (about 2' in diameter) were seen with some beige powder
on the lawn soil top, smelling said smoke, no smoke seen (4am morning
cloudy),
round spot increased to 3' wide and smoke is seen (6:30 am).
Do you guy know what happened here ?
Why kind of powder out there which is used for burning (without fire
seen)
very slowly a dead lawn which is newly overlaid with organical top soil?

Nana

Old 27-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Greg Rice

In Florida, we have what we call "muck fires" where (in dry conditions) the
muck will burn underground for days. Fortunately, in Florida most of the
"soil" is sand, so you only see this in normally swampy areas that have
dried up.

The fires are most often started by lightening.