Old 30-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Gene Yaffe

Default Green Scale

There is some green scale on the azalea bushes and palm trees in front of my
house. I'm in south Florida. It's on the trunks of both and also on the
branches of the azalea. Does anyone know what it is, whether it's harmful,
and what I should do about it ?

Thanks,

Old 31-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Greg Rice

Gene,

Down here in the deep south - we have green stuff growing all over just
about anything outside.

What does it look like? Can you take a digital pic?

How long has it bee there?

"Gene Yaffe" wrote in message
et...
There is some green scale on the azalea bushes and palm trees in front of

my
house. I'm in south Florida. It's on the trunks of both and also on the
branches of the azalea. Does anyone know what it is, whether it's harmful,
and what I should do about it ?

Thanks,

---

Old 01-09-2003, 03:37 AM
Gene Yaffe

I don't have a digital camera.

It's light green. It's a crust. I can scrape it off and the trunk of the
palm tree seems to be normal underneath and the fronds appear OK. It's in
blotches all up the height of the trunk.

The crust is also on some of the branches of my azalea. There, some leaves
are dying. The trunk of the azalea is a little different than the palm.
There's less a crust than light green discolorations --also in blotches up
the height of the trunk.

I'd be guessing about the time--but it's at least several weeks since I
noticed.

Thanks,

"Greg Rice" wrote in message
link.net...
Gene,

Down here in the deep south - we have green stuff growing all over just
about anything outside.

What does it look like? Can you take a digital pic?

How long has it bee there?

et...

Old 01-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Greg Rice

Well, with my limited experience, I may not be any help, but I've lived
"down here" for almost 50 years. I've seen lots of fungi, algae, moss and
other green stuff on plants... most of the time it doesn't hurt the plant
very much, but you don't want the "crusty" stuff to get a "hold" on the
plant. For instance, if you don't see the stuff growing very high on the
trunk of the palm, it probably won't hurt it. On the other hand it may be a
threat to the azalea - even now. You might want to spray the plant with a
fungicide - follow the directions. I'd do it a couple of times (now and
again in 2 weeks).

I'm afraid that I might be out of my depth, talking about "crusty green
stuff", so I hope one of the resident experts here in alt.home.lawn.garden
will be more helpful.

et...

"Greg Rice" wrote in message
link.net...
Gene,

Down here in the deep south - we have green stuff growing all over just
about anything outside.

What does it look like? Can you take a digital pic?

How long has it bee there?

et...

Old 01-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Gene Yaffe

Greg,

I sprayed for insects, but not for fungi. I'll give the fungi spray a try.
Couldn't hurt. Thanks much for the input.

Gene

hlink.net...

"Greg Rice" wrote in message
link.net...
Gene,

Down here in the deep south - we have green stuff growing all over

just
about anything outside.

What does it look like? Can you take a digital pic?

How long has it bee there?

et...