Old 01-09-2003, 02:22 PM

Default Do-it-yourself irrigation?

I just got a quote for an irrigation system.
$3600 for my front lawn, and an additional $3800 for the back. I have
about 1.8 acres, with a huge bhack yard, so I had him quote it both
ways.

I know that's a decent deal as far as irrigation goes, and this guy
has put in systems for several neighbors, and they're happy.
Other landscape companies were double the price.

However, I was wondering how difficult it would be to do it myself,
given that I will have the winter to read up and educate myself.

Can anyone recommend books, sites about this?
What do you think about Toro? Their site claims to spec out
everything you need, although I'm not sure how accurately I can
measure our pentagon-shaped lot and circular driveway.

Old 04-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Greg Rice

I went to www.doityourself.com and there was nothing on irrigation.

You can do it yourself. Technically it's not that hard. Check your local
bookstore for books on lawn and gardens. Also go to the L&G section of home
improvement stores. Or - the library!

You need to know how many gallons per minute your water source supplies -
that will determine how many sprinkler heads you can run in each section.
Then you want to map out each section, be sure to allow for plenty of
overlap - I forget what the percentage is (maybe 100%), but you should have
a significant amount of overlap between sprinklers. For instance if you have
2 sprinklers that each spray 20 feet, don't put them 40 feet apart thinking
that that will cover everything. Probably 30' apart at most and 20' at
least. (At 20' you should have 100% overlap)

What kind of soil you have will determine if you "really" want to do this
yourself. Digging in some areas can be backbreaking. I live in Florida where
we have mostly sandy soils - so digging is relatively easy. You can also
rent a ditch or trench digger that will save your back.

Old 05-09-2003, 01:02 PM

http://doityourself.com/lawn/install...dsprinkler.htm

Thanks for that link...I didn't know about that site.

Lots to think about. I know that I have to upgrade my well pump, and
possibly the tank as well. So I won't know my final flowrate until
then.

Thanks again!
Old 08-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Chad Penney

check out http://www.irrigationtutorials.com

very good site if you want to do it yourself. If you follow this guys
advice you pretty much can't go wrong.

Old 30-09-2003, 12:23 AM
Bill Nunnery

I did my own 11 zone, 83 head sprinkler system 2 years ago and I would do it
again. I must tell you that being an engineer and a weight lifter helped on
the upside but being 63 at the time was a liability on the down side. It
also helps if you have a son or good friend willing to help. I think anyone
with determination can do it. On the other hand, if you aren't handy with
plumbing, electricals, are scared of ditch witches, and you don't have a
strong back forget it.

Forget using Toro tutorials. They are too simplistic. I highly recommend
ttp://www.irrigationtutorials.com/index.htm which is run by a guy named Jess
Stryker. The tutorial is very good but for a one-time $5 charge, Jess will
answer any question you have during your design and installation. I used
Visio Technical software to draw up my plot plan complete with location of
house, trees, natural areas, sprinkler heads, valve boxes, etc. This takes a
little crude surveying to accurately locate everything but it is worth it in
the long run. Visio also has neat landscaping tools such as sprinkler heads
that make the layout of your system easier. You can do it without CAD
software but it is more difficult.

You need to find out from your local government what their requirements are
such as permits, water meters, plumbing codes, etc. and you need to notify
your local gas, water, electrical people so they can mark where these are on
your property so you don't destroy them during excavation. I bought most of
my stuff from Home Depot but I bought a few items at the local Sprinkler
wholesale supply house. They had better quality system controllers, rain
gauges, and valves than at Home Depot. They also had better drip irrigation
system components for your flower beds and shrubs. I saved a ton of money
doing it myself. My system is as good or better than the ones on the local
golf courses and much better than my neighbors systems.

"pwr" wrote in message
I just got a quote for an irrigation system.
$3600 for my front lawn, and an additional $3800 for the back. I have
about 1.8 acres, with a huge bhack yard, so I had him quote it both
ways.

I know that's a decent deal as far as irrigation goes, and this guy
has put in systems for several neighbors, and they're happy.
Other landscape companies were double the price.

However, I was wondering how difficult it would be to do it myself,
given that I will have the winter to read up and educate myself.

Can anyone recommend books, sites about this?
What do you think about Toro? Their site claims to spec out
everything you need, although I'm not sure how accurately I can
measure our pentagon-shaped lot and circular driveway.

try
http://www.google.com

key words: irrigation systems do it yourself