Old 07-09-2003, 07:23 AM
RB

Default oak roots question

Got some big oak trees. Horizontal segments of large root runners have
surfaced around in the yard out anywhere from 5'-25' or so. These things
are troublesome for mowing purposes, as I have to avoid them with the
tractor deck, but go back and clean up around them with weed wacker.
Could be my imagination, but they seem to be slowly coming up higher out of
the ground.

Two questions:

1. Would removing the above ground segments hurt the tree significantly?

2. Any easy method of removal other than getting a stump grinder after
them?

Old 08-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Patch

"RB" wrote in message ...
Got some big oak trees. Horizontal segments of large root runners have
surfaced around in the yard out anywhere from 5'-25' or so. These things
are troublesome for mowing purposes, as I have to avoid them with the
tractor deck, but go back and clean up around them with weed wacker.
Could be my imagination, but they seem to be slowly coming up higher out

of
the ground.

Two questions:

1. Would removing the above ground segments hurt the tree significantly?

2. Any easy method of removal other than getting a stump grinder after
them?

If it's anything like my yard, it's the topsoil that is slowly eroding

away exposing the roots. I buried some drainage pipes about a foot deep 10
years ago. It's now exposed!

Old 08-09-2003, 10:41 PM
RB

Never even thought of the soil erosion aspect. Could be. Maybe the thing
to do is put enough replacement soil down and contour it to cover the
problem.

Interesting point!

Old 10-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Chet Hayes

"RB" wrote in message ...
Never even thought of the soil erosion aspect. Could be. Maybe the thing
to do is put enough replacement soil down and contour it to cover the
problem.

Interesting point!

I've never seen oak trees exhibit this problem. Oak tree roots go
deep and stay there. This problem is common with maple though.
Old 18-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Die Spammer !!!

I have this problem with my 3 poplars. I had some roots growing along the lawns
root layer. I have taken some of the roots out when I tilled the yard but some of
the other roots, I cut from the trunk off the main trunk. I cut out what I could
without damaging the lawn. I tilled the whole yard a few months ago about 5-6
inches down, but still have some new shoots coming up.

Old 18-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Guglielmo Portas

1. Would removing the above ground segments hurt the tree significantly?
2. Any easy method of removal other than getting a stump grinder after
them?

1. I have 13 big old oaks on my property and have taken out a few
roots to put in gardens, remove hazards, whatever, with no affect on
the trees. The roots I removed were only an inch or so in diameter
that I clipped with a lopper. I think the key is not to take too many
thick *major* roots from any one tree.

2. I dig away the dirt and use an axe for the thicker roots. Do you
need to go really deep to run pipe or just to replace the root with
some soil and turf? A stump grinder's a pretty serious piece.

Maple tree: small roots growing over (and into) large roots Tree Guy Lawns 0 18-10-2008 04:00 PM
Oak Tree Roots Hzatph United Kingdom 4 10-01-2006 10:38 AM
oak tree roots and a plumbing nightmare juggler Gardening 15 03-11-2003 02:36 PM
oak tree roots and a suggested plumbing solution J Kolenovsky Gardening 0 31-10-2003 03:32 AM
Shumard Red Oak Disease Question Mark A. Luna Texas 3 29-04-2003 04:59 PM