Old 25-09-2003, 10:08 PM
blahb

Default Question on overseeding and crab grass

I am aerating the lawn and overseeding in the coming days. My question is,
I have quite a bit of crab grass that is dying but still present, so is it a
good idea to go around and pull the dead or dying crab grass out of the lawn
prior to overseeding?

Old 26-09-2003, 12:18 AM

"blahb" wrote:
I am aerating the lawn and overseeding in the coming days. My question
is, I have quite a bit of crab grass that is dying but still present, so
is it a good idea to go around and pull the dead or dying crab grass out
of the lawn prior to overseeding?

Yes, you'll likely drop thousands of seed while you're pulling it, but
you will still eliminate the adult plant, and the soil space it occupies.
(and some of the crab seed too)

As has been mentioned in other threads, a slice seeder is a great thing
this time of year. Aerate, and then slice seed right over the soil plugs
for best results.

We see -great- germination this time of year with our slice seeders.

Be sure to use a quality crabgrass preventer in the spring, but not
until your grass seed if fully established. You can put down some more
starter fertilizer first, then substitute your second 'step', with
your 'first'. (pre-emergent)

You need to get busy.

Email me direct if you need to. (remove nospam)

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/Month

Old 26-09-2003, 02:22 PM
William Plummer

It doesn't matter at this point in the year. Much seed has already dropped
and will try to come up next year. Be sure that you use a preemergent
crabgrass control early in the Spring next year. Then hit it with
crabgrass killer in August to kill it before it goes to seed.