Old 18-07-2005, 01:12 AM
Paul H. Smith

Default Need Help with Crab Grass, Weeds, and Brown Spots

I have a newly sodded bermuda lawn about 4 months old, and I have crab
grass and some other kind of weedy grass that looks like rescue all over
the place. I also have brown spots throughout yard.

I am a do-it-myselfer (aka cheap) and hate the idea of resorting to
calling a service like TruGreen. I have sprayed the entire lawn with
Ortho weed killer and Ortho crabgrass killer, but the stuff won't die.
Does the Ortho stuff work, or is there something better I should be
using? We have gotten a lot of rain this season in north Georgia, but I
sprayed when ground was dry and it didn't rain for a couple of days
after. I wonder if this stuff only works during a very dry season when
the weeds need water.

Anyway, does anyone know a good regemine to eliminate everything but the
bermuda and cure the brown spots? What should I use for each and how
often? Or would it just be cheaper to call a lawn service for a couple
of summers until the yard gets established?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 18-07-2005, 01:58 AM
joe

Paul H. Smith wrote:

[...]

sometimes it takes an application or 3 to kill some weeds, better to
spot treat just the weeds. it takes time for a yard to grow in good
just aerate in the growing season june to august once or twice and a
little fertilizer 2-3 times during same period. lime in winter
Old 19-07-2005, 03:54 AM
The Data Rat

Crabgrass is one of those weeds that are best treated pre-emergence in the
fall and spring. Once it is growing, it is all but impossible to stop. You
can follow the Scotts 4 step program but use store brands of everything to
save some $.
"joe" wrote in message
.. .

Old 20-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Mark Mitchell

Paul,

If you can find "Drive75" from a dealer, it's one of the best one shot
applications for Bermuda. Most lawn companies dom't use it because of it's
cost, $90.00 per bottle.

As someone mentioned earlier, I am buying the larger spray unit for my own
private use. I figure if I buy the sprayer from Northern Tool, I can use the
best chemicals available and not wait on "The truck" either.

I bought a 14 gallon sprayer for small stuff around the yard like bushes and
it runs on a 12 volt battery booster all day. I have had it for seven years
and you can't break it.

.. .
:

Old 21-07-2005, 12:08 AM
Muvin Gruvin

another good product is Scotts Turf Bulder with Summerguard and insect
control.
A 13.5 lb bag will treat 5,000 sq ft. Neighbors n I are using it and see
significant improvement esp during droughts. Costso was selling the
product. Costco is moving fast in getting all the summer items off the
shelves to make way for school and fall items. Good luck.