Old 28-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Timothy

Default Planting grass

Hello-
I live in Nashville and have a 10' x 10' square in my front
yard that was tilled up for some dead root extraction...
I have no green thumbs and was wondering if there
is any reason I could not plant grass this time of year
(or is there a better time)
Thanks
Tim

Old 29-03-2004, 07:12 AM
JimMorrison

the best time of the year in NOW !!! seeds just need warmth and water.
so it dont really matter, but just have to keep the damp.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Chet Hayes

JimMorrison wrote in message ...
the best time of the year in NOW !!! seeds just need warmth and water.
so it dont really matter, but just have to keep the damp.

Early fall is by far the ideal time to seed, not spring. In the fall,
cooler temps help keep the seed moist without water evaporating and
competition from weeds is greatly diminished. Also, the new grass has
a couple of months to grow in the fall, followed by another few months
of desirable weather in spring. This gives the grass time to get
established before hot summer weather arrives. It also allows for the
use of a std pre-emergent crabgrass control.

Spring is suitable for doing spot repairs, etc., or to establish a new
lawn if absolutely necessary, however given a choice, fall is by far
better.

Old 08-04-2004, 03:04 AM
Jeff

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message om...
JimMorrison wrote in message ...
the best time of the year in NOW !!! seeds just need warmth and water.
so it dont really matter, but just have to keep the damp.

Early fall is by far the ideal time to seed, not spring. In the fall,
cooler temps help keep the seed moist without water evaporating and
competition from weeds is greatly diminished. Also, the new grass has
a couple of months to grow in the fall, followed by another few months
of desirable weather in spring. This gives the grass time to get
established before hot summer weather arrives. It also allows for the
use of a std pre-emergent crabgrass control.

Spring is suitable for doing spot repairs, etc., or to establish a new
lawn if absolutely necessary, however given a choice, fall is by far
better.

Fall is definitely the best time in the more Northern states, but the grass in the southern states is a different type. They
usually say that the best time to plant bermuda in the south is in March and April.