Old 01-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Steveo

Default Fertilized, then aerated?

"Steve Wolfe" wrote:
1 pound of Nitrogen per 1000 sq ft is -all- you need. Don't
try to re-write chemical lawncare with your Nitrogen fetish.

I'm still waiting to hear your answers to my questions. I'm still
assuming that you're capable of talking about facts and presenting ideas,
and that flinging around words like "fetish" isn't the only defence you
have when your position is challenged. Of course, I could be wrong, but
I'm still waiting to see if you can address my points before I jump to
any conclusions.

As a recap, I'd like to hear just what your reasoning is for comparing
the uptake of nitrogen in plants to the use of sugar in animals. I'm
also waiting to hear just what you thing happens when there's more
nitrogen in the soil than the grass needs. If you want people to come
around to your way of thinking, present them with evidence and ideas.

steve

I don't think anyone is going to change your mind, your lawn will
have to suffer the consequences for that to happen.

Ever hear of Nitrogen run-off contamination of ground water? It's
people like you who contribute to it, with product abuse.

http://tinyurl.com/2bno5

Over use of Nitrogen promotes surge growth and disease in turf-grass.
You can also burn your turf easily with it.

I'm trying to help people here, your recipe for disaster needs
to be pointed out.

HTH
Old 01-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Steveo

"Steve Wolfe" wrote:
1 pound of Nitrogen per 1000 sq ft is -all- you need. Don't
try to re-write chemical lawncare with your Nitrogen fetish.

Wow, one pound, and I'm set for life! Or, as so many other things, did
you forget that time plays a factor?

Perhaps you could tell us what happens to the nitrogen demand of soil
year after year when it's not receiving said application.

steve

That's per application, and not to exceed 4 to 5 lbs per growing
season, dipshit.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Steve Wolfe

As a recap, I'd like to hear just what your reasoning is for
comparing
the uptake of nitrogen in plants to the use of sugar in animals. I'm
also waiting to hear just what you thing happens when there's more
nitrogen in the soil than the grass needs. If you want people to come
around to your way of thinking, present them with evidence and ideas.

I don't think anyone is going to change your mind,

Au contraire. I'm always willing to learn. And I'm always willing to
admit when I'm wrong. If you were to show me some data where nitrogen
demand didn't increase as time went on, I'd tell you that I was wrong. In
fact, I'm certainly willing to admit that there are better ways of going
about it than I did. I never said that it was what *everyone* should do,
only that it's why *I* did, and it worked like a charm.

Really. I've put forth some ideas. You haven't addressed them in any
way. The only thing you've done is throw out phrases like "dipshit" and
"nitrogen fetish". Can you really expect me to jump over to your line of
reasoning with nothing else?

your lawn will
have to suffer the consequences for that to happen.

Actually, my lawn's been doing jim-dandy for years now. If I'd repeated
what I talked about, it might not be, but I never have. In fact, if
anything, I fertilize less than I should.

Ever hear of Nitrogen run-off contamination of ground water? It's
people like you who contribute to it, with product abuse.

http://tinyurl.com/2bno5

See, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm asking for - data and facts.
I'm certainly aware that adding nitrogen (and a lot of other things!) to
water systems is bad. It's not just bad to get in drinking water as the
article you mentioned talks about, it's also bad to get into runoff water,
as it (especially combined with phosphates and other nutrients) will cause
large algal blooms, choking out aquatic life. Around here, where bodies
of water tend to be very small, a single big algal bloom can be
*especially* bad.

But, did my excessive fertilizer use cause any of that? Nope. To get
into the nearest aquafir used for drinking water, it would have to migrate
at least twenty miles *uphill*. And to get into the nearest runoff
system, it would have to migrate at least ten miles the other way, and it
would have to to do so during the two weeks of the year when the runoff
system actually *has* water. Outside of those two weeks, it would have to
migrate another five miles to the nearest river. In the dryness of my
area, that just doesn't happen. I could bury fifteen tons of fertilizer
in my yard, and the water systems would never see a bit of it.

Over use of Nitrogen promotes surge growth and disease in turf-grass.
You can also burn your turf easily with it.

You're right, it can. If I were doing that sort of thing regularly, I'd
expect problems. It was a one-time deal in soil that was extremely
depleted.

Old 02-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Steveo

"Steve Wolfe" wrote:
You're right, it can. If I were doing that sort of thing regularly,
I'd expect problems. It was a one-time deal in soil that was extremely
depleted.

I'm trying to help people here, your recipe for disaster needs
to be pointed out.

steve

You must remember that people look here for real advice.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:29 PM
LeeAnne

Thanks to everyone for your input. I will try to be patient while my
yard recovers from my enthusiastic but uninformed lawncare. In the
meantime I will put your suggestions into practice and hope for the
best!

JG