Old 06-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Tyshun Hampton

Default Weeds!!!

Hello can anyone tell me how long will it take for me to start seeing
progress in my lawn. I have Bermuda grass. I have been applying scotts
fertilizer almost a year last summer it was crabgrass this winter it was
henbit now its dandelions. I'm at the point to just pay chemlawn to do it
for me. can anyone please help me on this?

Old 06-04-2004, 09:29 PM
RoyDMercer

A good healthy Bermuda grass lawn will choke out MOST weeds, however you're
still going to get some weeds, especially crabgrass unless you start using
chemicals. What you need to do is develop a schedule on the right times of
the year to apply the right products, and you can win the battle over weeds.
You have a couple of things going in your favor. One is you have Bermuda
grass. When you have Bermuda grass, you can use chemicals which would kill
other lawn types. The next thing you have going for you is you know how to
identify your weed types. If you can identify the weeds, you can kill them
or prevent them. Here is my schedule. Keep in mind I live in Dallas, TX so
my winters are short. If you live farther north you will need to adjust the
schedule accordingly.

1) Mid-February: Apply a pre-emergent weed preventer. There are basically
two types. One type prevents only crabgrass, another prevents broadleaf
weeds. Some products have both types mixed together. These products
prevent weeds, they don't kill them, so it's not going to kill existing
weeds if you already have them.

2) March-April. Any weeds that make it past the pre-emergence need a
selective post emergence product. I use Weed-B-Gon, but there are others
that work just as well. If you have a lot of weeds, the easiest and best
way is to use a hose-end sprayer. Weed-B-Gon will not work if the ground is
too cold, so if it is early in the season spray a small test area. If the
weeds don't start dying within a week, you'll have to wait a little later in
the season before it will work. Weed-B-Gon will not kill crabgrass or any
other "grass-type" weed. It only works on broadleaf weeds. There are some
products similar to Weed-B-Gon which claim to kill crabgrass. I haven't had
much luck with them.

3) Mid-May. The first fertilizer is applied in May. You'll notice I don't
use a 'weed and feed' product. They do not work for warm season grasses
like bermuda. I use a fertilizer which has a high nitrogen content and is
slow-release. You need to match your fertilizer type to your particular
area. In my area, phosphorous is prevelant in the soil already and
potassium is not needed for bermuda till the fall. Also in May I use a
product called Image to kill my nutsedge or "nutgrass". This product will
also kill crabgrass, but I don't use it for that because it's expensive.

4) June. When the weather really starts to get hot I use one of two products
to kill crabgrass. They are MSMA or CSMA. They work very well, but it has
to be hot for them to work. They are cheap so they are a good way to kill
crabgrass.

5) Late June. I fertilize again using the same type of fertilizer I used in
May.

6) July-August. It's hot here in Texas. So I sit back in the shade, sip
mint julips, and enjoy my lawn. I have a sprinkler system which takes care
of my watering needs. Bermuda is very drought tolerant, so even in the
hottest months, I only water twice per week at the very most. Infrequent,
deep watering works best because it forces the grass to grow deeper roots.
Deeper roots means weeds are going to have a tougher time.

7) September. Time to fertilize again for the last time. This time I use a
product which has some potassium in it, because potassium helps with
wintering. So I look for a product that has a ratio of something like
10-1-5. You'll notice I only fertilize 3 times per year. If you don't use
a slow-release fertilizer, you should use less and do it more often.

8) October or November. I apply a pre-emergent weed preventer again.
Winters are relatively warm here in Texas, so weeds start coming back
throughout the winter if you don't.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:29 PM
RoyDMercer

[...]

I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? Jay Chan Gardening 56 18-07-2004 06:02 AM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? possibly OT Salty Thumb Gardening 0 22-06-2004 11:04 PM
weeds? Pam Gardening 16 25-03-2003 03:20 PM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM