Old 09-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Eyes Wide Open

Default Almost Out of Control Cactus

I have a 'bunny ear' cactus that I bought at Home Depot last year that I
never in a million years thought would last, even though I was determined to
see what I could do with it. Well, a year later this thing is doing better
than I could have imagined. Two transplants later, it is near needing
another transplant to yet a bigger pot. This guy is doing so well that it
is now starting to flop over from its own weight.

I want to stake it, but can't decide on how to do it so it won't end up
looking like your average tomato plant (read that I would like it to look
nice), and I would like to know if there is some way to make it grow more in
the up direction, rather than the out direction everytime it sprouts two
more 'ears'.

Personally I don't care if it ends up being three or four feet high (I
actually think it would be kind of cool), but I gotta tame it somehow in the
width department. Can these things be trained to grow in a certain
direction? My wife is beginning to refer to it as 'Audrey", even though I
have some fly traps that ain't doing bad either.