Old 03-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Stuart

Default Herbicide

Is there a herbicide that is not dangerous to pets?
Thanks,
S2

Old 03-07-2004, 07:18 AM

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:44:34 -0400, Stuart wrote:

Is there a herbicide that is not dangerous to pets?
Thanks,
S2

Yes, a strong hand and back for pulling the plant.

Seriously, I think you know the answer, if you follow the manufactors
instructions, nothing should be too dangerious.

BTW, you might want to reply with what your intentions are, meaning
plant you want to kill, and how much.

later,

tom

**************** http://www.Intertainia.com ***********
Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com
Old 03-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Peter H

"Stuart" wrote in message
Is there a herbicide that is not dangerous to pets?
Thanks,
S2

What makes you think they are harmful to pets?

Peter H

Old 03-07-2004, 05:02 PM

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 13:00:36 GMT, "Peter H"
wrote:

"Stuart" wrote in message
.. .
Is there a herbicide that is not dangerous to pets?
Thanks,
S2

What makes you think they are harmful to pets?

Peter H

Cause he has a Chia Pet.

:-P

Sorry couldn't resist, I'm weak.

Old 03-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Stuart

****************
http://www.Intertainia.com ***********
Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com
************************************************* ******

I have the strong hand but not the strong back, seriously.

What I want is to eliminate plant material growing through a plastic
barrier and river rocks.

My dogs sometimes eat what they shouldn't, so I want to make an
educated approach.

S2

Old 03-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Stuart

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 13:00:36 GMT, "Peter H"
wrote:

"Stuart" wrote in message
.. .
Is there a herbicide that is not dangerous to pets?
Thanks,
S2

What makes you think they are harmful to pets?

Peter H

I don't know if they are harmful or not.

S2

Old 04-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Peter H

"Stuart" wrote in message
On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 13:00:36 GMT, "Peter H"
wrote:

"Stuart" wrote in message
.. .
Is there a herbicide that is not dangerous to pets?
Thanks,
S2

What makes you think they are harmful to pets?

Peter H

I don't know if they are harmful or not.

S2

Well IMHO weed spray is not harmful to humans or their pets. I would just
follow the recommended application rates and keep the dog off the lawn until
it is dry. I have never seen anything, other than very uninformed,
subjective, anecdotal reports that show weed spray to affect anything other
than weeds in the 50+ years that it's been on the market.

Peter H

Old 04-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Peter H

wrote:

[...]

Ah, I missed this part. If they are eating the plants after spraying I would
be careful. What about whacking the weeds with a weedeater until just the
bases are left and then hit 'em with the weed spray.

Peter H

Old 04-07-2004, 12:10 PM
J.Caldwell

I know that I am going to cause a stir here but here goes. A hand held spray
bottle of gasoline works great when set at stream setting It's quite
accurate. Obviously, the method is ecologically unfriendly and unhealthy for
careless folks. But it works and leaves little or no residue after 4 hours.
Even at $2 a gallon, it's economically feasible. Sorry to cause a stir.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:10 PM
J.Caldwell

Ya but . . I agree with the informed folks who replied, but please consider
that an effective crabgrass preventer is long blade turf. That is to simply
say that the neighbors who have the most crabgrass over the years are those
who mow their lawn too short. A denser /longer turf shades out and helps
deny germination. Just a thought. Once again, I don't contradict the wisdom
of the nice gardeners who replied. Mine is just and add on.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Anonymous

Round-up is about the most benign herbicide on the market. It is a
glyphosate salt which is absorbed by the leaves and is transported to
the root system and kills the plant by interfering with it's ability to
uptake water by reversing normal osmotic flow (just as would pouring
normal table salt on the roots). The worst thing that is likely is that
if an animal ate a really large amount of material that had been sprayed
it might experience some abdominal discomfort and perhaps some diarrhea
or vomiting (much like what would happen if the animal drank too much
slightly salty water). I would think that this would be pretty unlikely
as the pet would have to eat a lot more plant material than most are
likely to want to eat.